Bruce | The Snowpiercer

(Note: you are the girl)

Mean and cold. That's how she was perceived by everyone. She sat, she worked, and she got on with whatever she needed to do. There was nothing else. No social life that she could weave into when she felt lonely, or a best friend who she could talk to. That had all gone when the rest of humanity had gone. She'd watched he best friend die in her arms and the memory of the spray of bullets haunted her every time she closed her eyes. The smell of deceased people and their rotting flesh, of smoke from the fires, and metal from blood... Every memory was fresh, regardless of the ten years she'd spent behind the iron walls that kept the elements out and kept the humans in.

She stood in front of the punching bag, unable to rid the memories from her head. She'd tried almost everything. Drugs, alcohol, medicine... None of it rid the empty feeling inside her.

"Hey. This place is closed," she heard.

"Leave me alone."

She turned and left.

***********

He could hear screaming. It was late at night and he was only awake because his job made him take work after hours. Engineering was a full time job. Sure it paid the best in rations, and he often got meat and juice, but the drawbacks were the sleep deprivation, not that he'd get much more sleep if he were allowed it. The memory of the screams of children and the sight of dead bodies piled on top of each other and others frozen in the snow... He shook his head, going back to finish the design of his new tool that could be used to dig up earth.

He heard more screaming and decided to go and check on her. It was definitely another nightmare by the girl who called the room next to his, home. He'd known her once, before all of this. Shame she didn't want to know him anymore.

He went into the room to see her clutching her sheets for dear life. He shook her. "Hey," he said, shaking her more. "Hey, wake up... Hey."

She hit him, straight across the face before realising he wasn't in her dream. He waited for an apology, but she just stared at him. "What are you doing in here?"

He clutched his cheek and sat down on the bed. "You were screaming... Are you alright?"

She nodded, letting herself go and snuggling into him.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

She sighed. "It's always the same... The gun, my family and blood."

He held her and surprisingly she didn't let go. He rubbed her back, kissing her hair. "Do you want me to stay with you?"

She shook her head. "No. You need to work."

"I'm almost done anyways."

She sighed relaxing. "Can I tell you something?"

He nodded. "Anything."

"Sometimes... I can't remember what it was like... Before..."

He sighed. "Neither can I."

"You know... Like real grass that wasn't made in this dumpster. And fresh air and birds and the beach and waves... It all just seems unreal..."

He ran his fingers through her hair. "Don't worry. I've heard rumours that the ice is melting and the winds are ceasing."

"Really?"

"Mhm."

He kissed her on the forehead before getting up to leave.

She grabbed onto his sleeve. "Bruce? Will you stay with me?"

He nodded. "Of course."

He snuggled in with her and pulled out his holographic machine. He turned it on. "Look. It's a virtual reality I created. It's from before this..."

She fell asleep watching the trees and the birds, and the waves and the fish, and the sky with its many clouds and finally a couple silly kittens.

He kissed her forehead again before turning it off and putting it on the bedside table. He remembered when they used to stay like this. When they couldn't get enough of each other. When it wasn't so complicated.

He sighed letting the sound of her breathing put him to sleep.

************

I watched Snowpiercer!! So think of it as that kind of world, but not just frozen. Kinda more natural disasters.
So think of this as Bruce getting to pierce through the ice in her heart from losing everything she held dear.
Tell me what you think!