Steve | In These Moments (Alternate Ending)

"Steve," you said as you heard the sound of an aircraft.

He looked at you before looking into the sky where a small dark circle gradually became larger. "That's me," he whispered, his face pained. You wanted to comfort him regardless of whatever he'd done to get to this moment in time.

You wrapped your arms around him, feeling wetness from tears. He fought his away from you, taking a step back, his heel almost off the edge of the ice sheet. "I can stop it. I can save me. (Y/N) I can - " He stopped the moment he saw the look of devastation on your face. He bit his lower lip. "Please. Please. Don't look at me like that. Please."

You couldn't help but tear up. Was this life - the one that the two of you shared - not enough for him? Did he need Peggy to make it worthwhile?

"(Y/N)..."

You shook your head. "I know it's selfish, but if you pull him out... Just think about it, Steve. There won't be a you and me. There won't be the Avengers. You don't know what's going to happen - "

He nodded. "But I need to save me. You don't understand how it feels to have lost everything."

You stopped him from leaving, taking his hand. "Then explain it to me."

He looked over to the aircraft that was beginning its descent before looking back at you. "Please don't make me choose." His lower lip wobbled as he spoke the words, his voice breaking ever so slightly as he tried to control his emotions.

You took in a deep breath before you wrapped your arms around his neck, going up on your toes to press your forehead against his. "Steve. Look at me," you whispered, still audible over the sound of the engines that were still far enough to not envelop your voice.

He even struggled to make his eyes meet yours and you felt as though you were fighting a losing battle between emotion, reality, possibilities and simple actions that changed time. You felt him take in a shaky breath as his arms finally came up to hold you too. "How do I make it stop hurting?" he whispered back. Your heart broke for him. He could be stupid sometimes, but you understood why.

"Time," you replied, knowing it wasn't the answer he wanted, but the one that he needed to hear.

With tears running down his cheeks he held you tight as you both heard the sound of the craft hitting the water. The sheets of ice moved with the displacement and you felt him clutch you even tighter. You were his safety net and without you he would've spiraled down so long ago.

He took a step out of the hug that you'd found yourself in, his cheeks wet but his eyes no longer tearing. "We need to go back," he said, taking in short breaths as he tried to stop himself from breaking into a sob.

"Now?"

He nodded.

The search for the stupid remote was long and full of the hurt that emanated from him. In his mind, all he could picture was the craft sinking lower and lower into the depths of the ocean. You knew that this would be hard for him to overcome, but you hoped that with your support he would make it out of the place he was in now both physically and mentally.

You spotted the object not far from you and went to pick it up, looking over to Steve who'd given up and had decided to sit on the edge of the ice, his legs up to his knees in the ice cold water. He breathed slowly and heavily.

You walked back over to him, sitting next to him but remaining dry. "Are you ready?" you asked.

He nodded. "I love you."

You smiled. If he could say that in all the anguish he was in, you knew there was something special about this Avenger. You repeated the words back to him before holding linking arms with him.

*****

Tony had a waste bin ready for the both of you to vomit in the moment you returned.

"How was it?" he asked, a grin on his face.

You looked over to Steve who was still too busy upchucking into the plastic container. You let out a breath, pushing your own container away. You looked back to Tony who was grinning with excitement about his 'wonderful' invention. "It was... memorable."

Tony was satisfied with the answer and left the both of you, complaining about the smell as he exited in his usual flamboyant manner.

You looked to Steve again and he sighed, leaning back against a lab table, holding his hand out for you to take. You took it, moving closer to him so your could brush back his hair. "Thank you," he whispered.

You smiled softly. "You're welcome."