Chapter 49

5 years, 6 months and 13 days ago..

"Gunrett!" Simon called out, as he made his way to his study. His London home was massive and it took him a lot of time to adjust to the new home. He'd won a lot of money from piquet and after his university, he'd saved as much as he could to buy the mansion. Being the only son of a marquess, he already had a lot of money from the beginning, but while his father, Philip stayed out in the countryside, he insisted mainly upon shifting to London. There were two reasons to that- the first one being able to be independent and the second one was to escape Miss Miranda who was almost forcing him to get married to her. He liked her as a friend, but he didn't want to get married to her because she was not suitable for him. She was nosy, irritating and pestered him too much. When he was about to leave for university, she'd tried to change his style and clothing- warned him too much to stay away from women and drinks and friends. He hated that he had to listen to her just because their fathers had a 'commitment' that they would get their children married. 

Simon had softly said that he wasn't ready for marriage yet and was quite inexperienced. But she was not ready to listen. Neither were her parents. Simon's father, who Simon was extremely close to, requested Miranda's parents for some time more as Simon was leaving for London. But they stayed adamant and in fact followed Simon to London, proclaiming that it had been a 'long time' since they'd visited their London house. But all they did upon reaching London was just pressurize Simon till he had to finally give in. He knew that he'd been childhood friends with Miranda and they were close, but Simon had never been attracted to her. Sure, she was pretty but he knew that her character was as black as soot. She had always tried to mold him into an innocent man, but after his time at the university he'd been declared 'the most likely to be a rake'.  It was true that the more you molded someone into something they couldn't be, the more they got out of your grasp. Simon was extremely popular at university- he was athletic, brilliant, famous, handsome and bloody charming. And he was sure that Miranda would despise his newfound traits- which he wanted to, because he wanted to push her away. Just leave her. She was so adamant to marry him that he was actually scared. 

Simon sighed and called out his valet again. Where was he? "Gunrett!"

He sat on his chair and looked at the estate papers on his desk. His valet came running in, panting with vigor "sorry Mi'lord!"

Simon crossed his arms and smiled "it's alright! You have to stop apologizing so much. By the by, what took you so long?"

Gunrett's eyes widened "Mi'lord..Miss Miranda came in to visit some time ago. And as you had instructed, I told the butler to convey a message to her that you weren't available."

Simon heaved a sigh of relief "thank you so much!"

Gunrett smiled "Mi'lord, there was a letter for you today."

Simon frowned as he took the letter from Gunrett and dismissed him.

He opened the seal with the letter opener and straightened the letter out in front of him. He smiled. It was from his father.

Dear Simon,

I hope you are doing fine Son. I miss your presence here, but at the same time I'm proud that you have established yourself well there in London. I've written this letter to you, because I have some matters to discuss with you regarding the estates I've lately purchased. It's come to my understanding that there are a few other problems regarding our ancestral land that I have to discuss with you too. There are also matters including the title and some other important issues which I can't describe here due to privacy. I hope and look forward to you visiting me soon to discuss the affairs and we can also have a good chat over some drinks.