Chapter 10

Violet returned home safely. Luckily her parents were out attending a function, so she wasn't answerable to them. She went to her room straightaway and slept for three hours. The exhaustion had crept into every inch of her body and she needed rest, really.

When she woke up, she found a letter in her basket.

She opened the violet hued letter, and read it. It was from the same anonymous man.

After reading it, Violet was extremely shocked.

She'd never seen someone so confident. And yet, he was hiding his identity, like the dunce he was. 

Violet really doubted whether she could love a man who feared rejection. Violet really liked his words but  she had to admit that he was a coward.

And if she really hated something, it was a cowardly man. Or a woman too for that matter.

What was the need to hide oneself from the person he or she loves?

Love is not making the person you love falling in love with the things that encircle you or the way you live your life or the words that make you.

But, love is making the person you love, fall in love with YOU.

Because the things that encircle you, or the way you live your life, or the words that make you, they all change. Nothing is permanent like that. 

But what never changes is a person's truest nature. Of course, circumstances can mould a person to be harsh, but circumstances can never truly change what lies deep in the person's blood. Circumstances can be brutal enough to even change the heart, but never the soul. Because the soul remains unchanged, and Violet really believed that the soul defines the person, not his behaviour.

Violet decided not to reply. She was extremely upset and hadn't fully recovered from her sickness. 
So she just sat there, reading a novel and timelessly staring at the window,  as the day's events kept running at the back of her mind. It was a mild afternoon but the day had been a scare. Luckily Lord Simon and his people had come to her rescue... Or else she would have been dead for sure. Her immunity had always been weak and the doctors had always advised her to keep away from the rains.
But really.. Lord Simon did possess a beautiful heart. Not just because he'd helped her, that any gentleman in his position would have done.. But because he provided her with extreme and highly expensive medications which people think twice before providing with.
And also he looked after her as if she was his... His....
His what?
Violet frowned. Good God.. It had just been a day....
But really.... Had they become friends?
Why-

Knock. Knock.
"Who is it?" Violet asked.
The butler entered.
"You have a guest, Miss Violet. It is Miss Miranda."

Violet looked at the calling card and frowned.

Miss Miranda?

Violet was well acquainted with her but it wasn't as if she would come to visit Violet. They weren't friends yet. They just knew each other and wished each other with a plain 'hello'.
In fact just the previous day after crashing into Lord Simon, when Violet had gone to the ladies' retiring room, she'd met Miss Miranda. They both had smiled at each other and parted ways as usual.

Violet of course liked Miss Miranda. She looked truly kind and all smiles.

"Tell her I'll be in a minute to receive her" Violet said.

Violet went down to the guest room.
And she saw Miss Miranda looking out the window, clutching her purse to her chest. She looked a tad bit nervous but normal as usual.

"Miss Miranda?"