Chapter 15

Violet turned to Miranda "what's wrong between you two?"

Miranda look uneasy "nothing! really. Maybe some sort of mishappening, you know. This is London, for god's sake. Things keep happening. And you know the grumpy Lord Simon, always hateful. So..um..yes. That's it."

Violet nodded. She let it pass.

As the evening blossomed into the night, Violet danced and danced until her feet could not anymore. Her eyes searched for Lord Simon, maybe just a glimpse, a tiny one. But he was nowhere to be found.

But her eyes missed the cowered state of Miranda who had turned extremely pale.

Over the next few days, Violet and Miranda's friendship had grown. Violet found herself liking Miranda and her funny nature.

She confided in Miranda, her secrets, her life and her dreams. And it seemed to her that Miranda understood her like nobody did.

One fine day, as they drank tea in Violet's home, Miranda brought up the topic of Simon.

"Are you acquainted with Lord Simon?" Miranda asked as she sipped her tea quietly.

Violet reaching for the biscuits, stopped "yes, why?"

"Umm, that day at Lord John's party, he asked about your health..so.."

Violet nodded and narrated the incidents that took place at Lord Simon's mansion.

Miranda listened quietly, all the while.

"I see" Miranda said as Violet finished.

"Is everything fine, Miranda? You look uneasy."

"Err, nothing really. Well! You told me you have a few beautiful dresses that you wanted to show me."

Violet smacked her forehead lightly "how can I forget that!"

The both of them went to Violet's room.

Violet took out a few dresses and the ladies talked about the texture and color for over an hour.

"I'll get you some pudding, Miranda. Till then, why don't you look at this blue dress?" Violet said as she pulled out a blue gown with umpteen frills.

Miranda took it from Violet and touched the dress smilingly.

Violet smiled at her as she left the room to get the pudding.

Maybe Miranda would like the chocolate one, she guessed.

Violet allowed herself a small smile as she thought of Miranda.

Don't friends add joy to your life?