Mono

Everyone has always known of Nini and Ricky. The best friends that pretty much named each other, and claim to be "just friends", and they were for a while until recently.

Ricky let it slip that he had a crush of her, while at his family's lake house. Fortunately for him she felt the same.

They enjoyed their time at the lake house. It was just them, no friends asking questions, no one making a big scene about any move either of them made, they liked it. They enjoyed just being with each other without anyone else knowing.

"I wish it could stay like this," Nini said, her head resting on his shoulder as they sit on the dock watching the sunset. "I wish we could too, but we have to go back to school at some point"

"Can we just not tell everyone yet" Nini said as they were cuddled up in bed on their last day at the lake house. Ricky kissed her on the forehead. "If that's what you want"

They did pretty well at hiding their relationship. They still got the occasional comments like "will you guys just date already" "You act like an old married couple" and the weird looks whenever they say they are doing/ going somewhere together.

It had been about 6 months since they started dating and they were happier than ever.

They spent almost every day together except for when he went to visit his mom in chicago.

Nini was at school when she noticed the lack of her boyfriend. He would usually meet her at her locker so they could spend a little time together before the school, but he wasn't there today. She was confused but went on with her day.

She was even more confused when he wasn't at their lunch table. So she decided to text him.

Nini went to his house right after school just like she said she would

Nini went to his house right after school just like she said she would. When she walked in she went straight to his bedroom, knowing he likes to be comfortable when he is sick.

"Hey baby" she said as she walked into his room. She walked over to his bed where he was laying. "Hi" he responded, his voice raspy.  She could tell he had a sore throat.

"How are you feeling" she asked, sitting next to him on his bed. "Not the best. My whole body is sore, and i have a really bad headache, my throat feels so sore, and my is swollen, and I think I have a rash forming on my leg but I'm not sure." he said.

"I wish I could make you feel better. What can I do to help" she said patting his thigh. "Can you just cuddle with me" he said, opening his arms for her to crawl into them, and she did. "Whatever you need"

They laid there for a while. They turned on a movie and Ricky tried to ingor how awful he felt. At least he had his favorite girl by his side.

When the movie finished Nini looked up at Ricky's face and could tell he was in pain. Nini didn't really know how to make him feel any better so she leaned up and planted a kiss on his lips. Ricky enjoyed it for a second but quickly pulled away. "As much as I want to kiss you, I don't want to get you sick," he said.

Nini ended up staying for dinner that night. Mike Bowen had always supported their relationship, and it wasn't really that unusual for him to find Nini at his house after school. So her staying over for dinner was quite a normal occurrence. Even when Ricky was sick.

Ricky was still sick a week later, and by that time Nini was feeling sick too.

After seeing how bad Ricky was, Nini's moms took her to the doctor. They did a ton of test and the only one that came back positive was for mono.

When they got the results her moms gave her a knowing looking in the car.

When she got home she immediately called Ricky to tell him about her test results.

"Ricky I have mono" Nini said when he answered the call. "Okay" he said nonchalantly. "Do you know what that means" she asked, very confused about his reaction. "You have a sickness" he said, still not understanding what she was saying.

"Ricky, I have mono, the kissing disease, you're the only person I've kissed in the last 6 months" she said, but Ricky still hadn't caught on. "RICKY YOU HAVE MONO" she said frustrated at how stupid her boyfriend is.

Ricky was dumbstruck. If it was a disease passed by kissing, how did he get it, Nini was the only person he had ever kissed.

"I'll have my dad make me a doctor's appointment" he said.

It had been about a week since both of them had gotten better and they were at their regular weekly movie night in Red's basement.

"So let me get this straight, you both were sick at the same time but you didn't get one another." Kourtney said. She pulled Nini aside, "Nini what did you have, and don't lie I could spot your british accent from a mile away."

"I had mono" she whispered. "And how did you get mono" she asked. "A boy" is all she said and then walked away.

"Can I talk to you" she asked Ricky and pulled him up the stairs to the kitchen. "Can we tell them. I think Kourtney already knows and it's already been 7 months." she asked him. "I've always been down for whatever so if you feel comfortable enough to tell them then I say we tell them" he said rubbing his hand up and down her arm.

They walked back downstairs to the basement hand and hand. "You had mono too, didn't you" Kourtney asked Ricky. "Maybe" he responded.

He then pulled Nini to sit next to him on the couch. She sat a lot closer than she usually would, because she didn't care anymore. She cuddled up to him and rested her head on his shoulder, turning her attention to the movie they turned on.

____________________________

I start school in 3 weeks and I'm not excited about it. When I go back to school I will probably have less time to write so there will be less updates.

1074 words