The Concussion

Ricky loves to skateboard

Ricky loves to skateboard. It's his passion. He was pretty good at it too. So far he's won 2 out of the 3 competitions he's been in.

He was skateboarding down the sidewalk making his way to a weekend rehearsal. But he didn't go his normal route, he decided to take a short cut. That wasn't the smartest decision.

When he was about halfway to the school, he ran into a rough part of the sidewalk. He was skating and the front wheels of his skateboard got caught in a crack in the sidewalk, and he fell.

It was bad. He hit his head hard on the concrete. He didn't feel like he could get up. Like he would have to lay there in that spot until he died.

But he can't miss rehearsal. He needed to prove to Nini, and himself, that when he commits to something he sticks to it. 

So he gets up off the ground and continues his way to school, this time walking, and trying to figure out a way to explain the blood on his face, while his head was throbbing. 

When he did get to school he was 15  minutes late. "Finally Ricky you're late, we were about to just start without you" Miss Jenn said. "And why are you bleeding." "I ran into a door frame" he said simply, still feeling like it was constantly being hit in the head.

He could barely get through his lines. It was just too difficult for him. He couldn't read the lines off of his script, so he had to try to do it all from memory. But that didn't really work either. He just couldn't focus on what he's meant to be saying  when his head felt like the room was starting to spin.

"Come on Ricky just focus and say your lines, it's not that hard" Carlos yelled. The yelling definitely didn't help his head.

Then his vision went blurry, and his head started to feel heavier than usual, forcing him to tilt it back. Before he knew it  his vision went completely black and he lost control over his body, causing him to fall on the floor. The last thing he heard was a woman yelling "Ricky and footsteps running toward him.

He was only out for 30 seconds max but those were the scariest 30 seconds of Nini's life. Her and Riky had been in a weird place ever since their moment in the storage room only a few days earlier.

"Ricky, Ricky wake up she said" she said, using her free hand to try to shake him awake. Her other hand was holding his, more to comfort her than him.

When he did come back to consciousness the first thing Nini did was hug him "Don't ever scare me like that again" she said.

"Nini way don't you take Ricky home. I think he needs some rest" Miss Jenn said and Nini nodded helping him up. He was pretty weak so he rested most of his weight on her, but she didn't really care. She was just happy that he was okay.

She drove him to his house and helped him to the couch. She then went to the bathroom and got her a cold rag to place on his head and something to clean the wound on his head.

After cleaning up his cut she put the rag on his head, and Ricky visibly relaxed. "What really happened" Nini asked. "All of this couldn't have happened by running into a door."

"I fell on my skateboard," he mumbled. "This is why I always told you to wear a helmet," Nini said, looking at him. "I know that now," he said.

Nini didn't say another word. She didn't want to make him feel worse than he already did. She just placed a light kiss on his creak and relaxed into his side lightly placing her head on his shoulder giving him a place to rest his own head.

When Mike Bowen came home from work he was kind of shocked by the scene in his living room. Ricky and Nini cuddled up together. It was something he had seen in a while but it put a smile on his face.

When his son talked about Nini his whole face would light up. She's the only one who could make him like that. So if Nini sleeping against him made his son happy then it made him happy too.

He was going to have to ask him about the cut in his head when he woke up though.

_____________________________

Technically two chapters in one day, what has gotten into me.

770 words