Fool Me Twice

Nini and Ricky have been best friends since kindergarten. Now that they are going into their first year of high school Ricky feels like it's the perfect time to express his true feelings for Nini. He's in love with her.

Ricky came over to Nini's house one Saturday. Him showing up at her house was a normal occurrence but today was going to be the day that he confessed his feeling for her.

"Hey Nini can we talk" he asks as he walks into her room. "Yeah what's up" she said, moving over on her bed so he had somewhere to sit. "I don't really know how to say this, but Nini. I'm in love with you." he said.

Nini just sat there staring at him with wide eyes. "I totally understand if you don't feel the same" he said quickly, not sure what to take of her reaction.

"I'm sorry Ricky but I don't. I hope we can still be friends though" she said. "Yeah, yeah I totally get it. And I really want to stay friends but I think I need a little time to think." He said, refusing to look her in their eyes anymore. "Take as long as you need, just text me when you're ready," he said with a smile.

Ricky gave her a sad smile in return and walked out of her room.

His time to think ended up only being one week long. He tried but he just couldn't stay away from her.

They ended up staying friends throughout the rest of high school. Ricky was still in love with her, but had accepted the fact that she doesn't love him back.

Something Nini never told Ricky, and will probably never tell him, is the fact that when Ricky told her that he loved her, that she felt the exact same way. But she couldn't tell him that, because what if they broke up what would happen to their friendship. Their friendship is the most important thing to her and the last thing she would want to ruin that, so she thought it would just be better to cut it off before it could happen.

Recently Nini had been hanging out with this boy, named Josh recently, but every time Ricky asks about him she always insists that they are just friends.

Now that Ricky and Nini have both graduated from high school, they will be heading off to college soon. Nini will be heading off to NYU, and Ricky will be going to USC. Ricky has to head off to school two weeks before Nini. 

The day before Ricky left he decided that it couldn't hurt to try to tell Nini again. She had come over to his house to help him finish packing.

"Now that we're done can I tell you something" Ricky said. "I already said this once, but I want to say it again. Nini, I'm still in love with you." Unlike last time Nini couldn't even look at him in the eye. Ricky saw this. "It's Josh isn't it" Ricky said, tears forming in his eyes. She just nodded. "He asked me to be his girlfriend a couple weeks ago and I said yes" she said with tears forming in her eyes as well.

"I get it. I do. But can you leave, I think I need to be alone" Ricky said, turning away from her. She didn't say anything she just turned around and left him.

 She didn't say anything she just turned around and left him

_________________________

Sorry for not updating in a month, I'm going to try to get better at updating once finals are done.

Also you can ignore this if you want but I really need some boy advice. So I've kind of had a crush on this boy for a little while now, but I never thought this boy would like me back so I never thought too much into it. Then a couple days ago I go to my first period class (spanish) which I happen to have with him, and we end up having to do partner work with the person that sits at the desk next to ours, and both of our partners end up not being there that day so our teacher ended up asking him to temporarily move to the desk next to mine so we could work together. Some of his friends sat near me and were kind of making  oooh sounds, but I tried not to think too much into it. Now mind you I was also only running on 2 hours of sleep because I was up studying for a test we had that day. We end up working together and when we were done, his friends were also done at around the same time. And when I'm tired I end up shutting down and not really doing anything, so me and him were just sitting there not talking and I was staring off into space. Then his friends says something along the lines of "Come on talk to her, ask her out, you've liked her for like 2 months now" and at first I thought that it was just his friend joking with him and trying to get a reaction out of him. The bell ends up ringing, and I go to my next class, which is my study hall, and my only class besides lunch that I have with all of my friends. So I was going to talk to them about it, but I ended up keeping it to myself, and I spent the whole period just thinking about what happened. And the more I started thinking about it the more it seemed like it could be real, because both of us are in marching band and the day after one of our games we usually have a fun day and that day we were playing kickball and neither of us wanted to play so we ended up talking the whole time and got to know each other pretty well. That was almost exactly 2 months ago. That was also when I started somewhat having a crush on him. We've been avoiding each other ever since this happened in class. I really want to know if it was true or not but I hate confrontation, and I don't want to be the one to bring it up. I would really love some advice. (also he's principal's son, and I don't want to get on her bad side, especially since I'm hoping to take AP calc and she teaches that class)

599 words