Not Letting You Go

Part 2 to Let you go

This song reminded me a lot of rini in these 2 one shots

______________________

Ricky's phone has been off for days. When he landed in Chicago he texted his dad saying he arrived and that he was safe and turned off his phone.

He didn't turn his phone back on until he arrived back in Salt Lake City. And that was probably a mistake.

When he turned his phone back on he saw he had a lot of missed calls and texts from his friends, but one of them stood out to him.

Nini 🥰😇
Missed call

Nini 🥰😇
New voicemail

"What" Ricky thought, "why would she be calling me?"

"Don't let me go. Please don't let me go"

Now Ricky was more confused.

"She broke up with me?" he said out loud, baffled at what his ex girlfriend had just said.

He quickly called her back, but got her voicemail too.

"I think we need to talk. I'm coming over tomorrow so we can talk about this before we have to see each other at school on monday."

He knocked on her door early the next day.

"Hey" she said as she opened the door.

"We need to talk"

"Yeah we do"

Nini opened the door wider so he could walk in and closed the door behind him.

"So..."

"Yeah..."

"Do you want to talk in the tree house again. It seems like we have our best conversations there" she suggests.

"That sound good"

Nini led them through the house and to the tree house, climbing up first with Ricky following after her.

"Nini, what was that voicemail about?" he asks.

"I heard your song"

"What. How?"

"Your mom posted it online, and I probably listened to it 100 times before I tried to call you"

"That still doesn't explain why you called. I mean, Nini, you broke up with me because you didn't want either of us holding the other one back, but now you're telling me you don't want me to let you go. So what do you want. Do you want me to let you go or hold you back?" Rick asked.

"Neither"

"Then what do you want because you're really confusing me right now"

"I love you so much that I don't want you to let me go, to let us go, but I also think that we still need space so we can figure out who we are. I mean we've been attached at the hip since we were 6, I don't know who I am without you being by my side but I also don't want you to let what we had- what we have go, because I love you and I always will love you. I don't want our story to end, I just think we need to spend a chapter apart." Nini said, holding both of his hands and looking into his eyes.

Ricky stood there for a second, his eyes closed, thinking about what Nini had just said.

"What about our anniversary, our original one? Do you think that'll be enough space? It gives us the rest of the school year and part of the summer to learn about ourselves and who we want to be and then we can come back together on our anniversary and if both of us still want to be together then we can get back together" Ricky suggests.

"That sounds perfect" Nini said, separating their hands and pulling him into a hug.

"If you meet someone else, someone better, just let me know"

"I will and you do the same, if there's someone else just tell me I won't be mad"

They stand there hugging for a while, not saying anything, just enjoying each other's embrace.

"I love you" Nini mumbled, into his chest.

"I love you too," Ricky said, kissing the top of her head and then pulling away from the hug. "But I think I should get going. What's the point of space if we keep hugging and telling each other we love each other."

"Bye Ricky" she said as he started his way down the ladder of the tree house.

"Goodbye Nini" he said smiling as he walked away.

This time as he was walking away he knew he could never let her go, no matter what she would always have a part of his heart. And she knew he would always have a part of hers.

_______________________

I was so conflicted about whether or not to have them get back together in this but them waiting seemed more realistic.

763 words