New Year's Eve

Ricky made a mistake. He couldn't tell his girlfriend of almost one year that he loved her. And of course Ricky couldn't just make one mistake, he just had to make another one. He just had to ask Nini for a break before she went to theater camp.

And after the summer was over and he was ready to tell her that he loved her. But she moved on. She got a new boyfriend, and Ricky was so disappointed. He was finally ready to open up his heart to her just as she closed hers off. So he did the only thing he could think of to try to win her back. He joined the school musical.

During the musical Nini and her new boyfriend broke up, and Ricky felt like he finally had a chance. But when opening night was over and he had the perfect moment to tell her that he loved her, he let her walk away from that dressing room without telling her anything.

And ever since he missed his chance he had been ignoring her, because everytime he talked to her he wanted to tell her his feelings, but after everything that happened, why would she still love him the same way he loved her. So the only way to heal his heart was to stay away from her.

When their friend group formed during the musical everyone was rooting for Nini and Ricky to get back together, even Nini's ex boyfriend, EJ. He could see the way Ricky looked at Nini and the way she looked at him, and he knew that they were meant to be together.

So When Ricky started ignoring Nini, the gang knew they had to somehow get involved to help push them back together. And New Year's Eve would be the perfect time.

"Hey Nini, I'm throwing a New Year's party at my house, do you wanna come" Ashlyn asked Nini the day before winter break starts. "Will-" she starts but Alyn cuts her off. "No he's doing something with his dad, and I know things are really awkward between you two ever since the musical ended." "Yeah I'd love to go" she said. "Okay good, see you at 8 on New Year's Eve"

"Hey man," Big Red said, walking up to Ricky's locker. "What's up?" he said. "Ashlyn's throwing a New Year's party at her house, and I wanted to invite you, but with everything with Nini I didn't know if you'd want to, but apparently she's spending it with her moms so if you want to come it would be totally Nini free." Red says, trying to convince him. "Yeah that sounds like a lot of fun" he replied. "Great be there at 8:15."

Nini's outfit

Ricky's outfit

Ricky's outfit

When Nini arrived at the party everything was great, all her friends were there, and there was no Ricky anywhere in sight, and no awkwardness

That was until the one and only Ricky walked through the door 15 minutes later.

Them both being there wasn't absolutely terrible. They just did everything in their power to be as far away from each other. Which was not what their friends were hoping would happen. So when Ricky excused himself to get some fresh air outside, they jumped on the opportunity to get the two of them alone.

"Nini I left some of the drinks outside to cool them down, can you help me get them" Ashlyn asked. "Yeah" she said and stood up to follow her to her back door. When they got there Ashlyn opened the door and let Nini go out first and once she was out the door, Ashlyn shut and locked the door.

"What the fuck" Nini screamed when the door was shut. But she was more surprised when she turned around to see who she was locked out with. Ricky.

She quickly made her way to the other side of the deck, and rested her arms on the railing of the deck facing away from him.

Considering it was December in Utah it was around 20°F outside, so when Ricky saw Nini start shivering he quickly took his jacket off, walked over to Nini and placed the jacket on her shoulders. "I'm okay you really didn't need to do that" she said, staring out into the distance, not wanting to make eye contact with him. "No, it's okay you're obviously cold" he said resting his back on the railing next to her. "But won't you be cold" she said, taking the jacket off and handing it back to him. "I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt and your wearing a short sleeve dress, just take the stupid jacket" he said as he placed the jecket back on her shoulders.

As he did this Nini finally looked up at him, and his beautiful brown eyes. She was sucked in. every feeling she had ever felt for him had come back to her all at once,

"Why have you been ignoring me" she asked, not breaking their eye contact.

"After everything that happened with the musical and that moment in that storage room during tech week I just didn't know how to be around you without doing something stupid." he said not looking away from her eyes. "So you thought not talking to me and giving me no explanation as to why was the best choice" she said, starting to get mad. "When I made the decision I thought that it would be better to go through the heart break now then to wait and have you reject me and it be even worse."

As the conversation was going they could vaguely hear their friends start counting down. "10, 9, 8"

"Why would you think I was going to reject you" she said.

"7, 6, 5"

"Because I've hurt you so many times and made so many mistakes"

"4, 3, 2"

"Well you're wrong" she said as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

"1"

As the last number was said Nini stood up on her tip toes and smashed her lips onto Ricky, and he kissed her back with all the passion that had been building in him for the past few weeks. As the pulled apart Ricky whispered, "I love you"

It took her a second to comprehend what he had just told her. She had been waiting for so long to hear him say those word, but when he did she knew it was worth the wait because she knew that he really meant those words

"I love you too" she said leaning up and kissing him again.

________________________

Happy New Year's Eve. Hopefully 2021 will be a lot better than 2020.

Something special is coming to this book in 12 days so be ready.

1132 words