River of Tears

Still got the flowers that you sent
And the note you wrote that said
That we're meant to be forever
I keep them all as evidence
In a drawer under the mirror
Filled with empty promises

Nini looked over at her vanity and saw the beautiful red roses EJ had gotten her just a few days ago. It hurt to look at them, but she slowly pulled herself to her feet and walked over to them. She touched the petals gently as if they would fall apart at any second, like she did.

She then pulled out one of the drawers. It was where she kept all the letters EJ had written her over the years. It was hard to read them again knowing what he did, and how all the words he wrote were just lies. 'I miss you' 'I love you' 'I'm gonna marry you one day' All lies.

I don't know why
I keep letting you lie to me
Hard as I try
It seems I can't break away

She believed him. Every lie he ever told her.'I have to study' 'I'm going out with the boys tonight' 'Sorry my phone died' 'She's just a friend'

Even after she knew the truth, it was still hard to not want it to be true. To still believe that EJ was a good person who wouldn't hurt her. But that just wasn't true. She knew she had to let him go no matter how much it hurts.

I thought that you would be the hero
Come and save the day
But you're a villain
Your sins unforgiven

EJ was her knight in shining armor. The person who knew her better than she knew herself. If she was having a bad day he was always there with ice cream and cuddles to make her feel better. He was her hero.

But he was a different person now. She would only get a call from him once a week if she was lucky. He was always busy with schoolwork, or at least that's what he told her. He wasn't her hero anymore. He is a villian.

I'm going down, and you have watched me drown
In a river of tears, lost beneath the stream
Under the waves, I've found the strength to say
The river of tears has washed me clean

She cried a lot over the past few weeks. First it was finding out about what EJ did. Then it was actually confronting him about it. Then more tears for when they actually broke up. And here she is again crying a river yet again over all the memories of their relationship. But even through the tears she knew she did the right thing, and she would be happier in the future with EJ gone.

Go 'head and wish me well
I'll cry a wishing well
I'll fly before I fail
I'll set sail and drift away

She remembers his last words to her so vividly. "I hope you have a great life without me in it" She cried over those words the most. Not because they were true, but because she knew that she would have had a much better life if she had never met him at all.

So I won't need you here
Love sinks and hope floats
In a river of tears
In a river of tears

Nini had always had hope. The hope for her dream job. The hope for a perfect relationship. But the most recent piece of hope she had was the hope that she would be okay.

I catch your scent in every wind
And I recall the love we had
I can't pretend that I don't miss you
Every now and then

She was wearing one of his hoodies. It still smelled like him. It reminded her of how much she missed him. The old him. The romantic side of him that would surprise her with flowers. Or take her on spontaneous walks on the beach. She missed the side of him she fell in love with.