★ S8 E4 - Redacted

It's been about a week since I was last at the ARC. After Jenny got us to make a rather hasty exit, I haven't been back...everyone keeps making excuses as to why I can't come. 

"So?" I ask, sitting across from Landon at the library. 

"I'm not allowed to say," is his only response. 

I lean back in my chair, sighing. "I get that you're all trying to protect me from something, and I'm grateful for that. But you also have to understand that the way you're going about it isn't the best." 

Landon nods. "I know, and believe me I'd love to tell you, but Lester's my boss. I can't go against him." 

I'm silent for a moment. He knows it's going to kill me not knowing, and I need to know...even if I hate it. I have an inkling of what it might be, but if I'm right...well I'm not too sure right now if I want to be. Either way, I need to know. 

"Fine. But can you at least tell me what's been going on? Any anomalies? Dinosaurs? You've gotta give me something," I beg.

Landon sighs. "We've had quite a few. Only one was a serious incursion but we got it under control eventually." 

 "So did you order everyone around or did Becker?" 

He freezes. Busted. If Becker weren't here, he wouldn't need to be worried about me mentioning him, because they've all taught me to open up about anything on my mind and accept the honesty. Becker in a conversation isn't alarming to anyone because he hasn't been in the country...clearly that's changed.

Landon says nothing, I don't think he quite knows what to say.

"You can drop the act. He's here, isn't he?" 

Landon's head drops as he nods. 

"We told him he shouldn't reach out. That is was up to you if you wanted to see him." 

It would be a lie if I said I was completely okay. Recovery takes time, and I know that seeing Becker could very well delay that. He could set me back months...but he could also help. I don't know why he's back, or for how long.

"Does he even want to see me?" 

Landon smiles lightly. "You were one of the first people he asked for," he says. "And strictly between the two of us, I think you should."  

Lester's POV

"Lester, can we talk?" Becker asks.

"You've already made your way into my office without knocking so-" I say, not looking up from my papers. I gesture for him to speak.

"Why's Lizzie's number disconnected?" he asks. 

"She wanted a fresh start," is all I say. 

"Where is she?"

I sigh, putting my papers down. "Around...but I don't think it's wise you reach out. She needs to do that for herself."

"What, why?" 

I stand, moving to shut the door. "Becker, you knew Lizzie better than anyone. You even knew her better than she knew herself sometimes." I look him in the eye. "You became a part of her, and you broke that."

He looks away. "I wasn't the one who left without a word." 

He needs to know. "And she never wanted to."

I move back to my desk, pulling some files and an envelope out of the top drawer.

"What are you talking about?" Becker asks.

I place the files down in front of him. "Read the reports from the follow-up of her recent disappearance - some information is redacted for security reasons, but you'll get the idea." I place the envelope down on top. "Then read this."