★ S7 E4 - Lizzie Does What Lizzie Says

I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm here, hi, hello!

Lester's POV

When Becker returns, he's alone. He walks into my office without a knock and slumps himself into the chair opposite me.

"Did you find her?" I ask, placing down my paperwork and leaning back in my chair. He nods. "Is she okay?"

He shakes his head, his chin slowly lifting and his gaze lingering on me for a moment before sharply looking away. "No. No, she um- she isn't."

I stare at him for a moment. I've seen Becker upset before but now he seems to be reflecting Lizzie. He looks broken. "What do you suggest we do?"

He sighs. "We give her time. She'll come back to us when she's ready but we can't push her. Lizzie does what Lizzie says." 

"But what Lizzie says isn't always right." 

"I know and that's what I'm afraid of."

Lizzie's POV

I'm parked up at the cliff again watching the water. Something about this place is peaceful, and here I feel like I can breathe. I know they just want what's best for me, but they're going about it and trying all the wrong ways. This time, they need to let me get through this on my own.

'They're worried.'

"I know, they always are."

'I'm worried about you too. I know you - or at least I did - and that version of yourself never shut off as much as this. You never put up this much of a fight to be alone.'

"Because I'm not the same.person I was."

'I wish I could be there to help you.'

"You're talking to me, and sometimes that's enough."

'There's something I want to tell you.'

"Which is?"

A person walks past the car, staring weirdly at me because I'm talking to myself. Once they've walked away, I place in my earphones, holding the wire lightly near the microphone. Now people will just think I'm on the phone and I won't get self conscious.

'Before I died, there was a point you thought I was ignoring you. I didn't speak to you and barely made eye contact. You got so annoyed at me for it.'

"...yeah."

'That's this moment in time. I'm ignoring the version of you I'm with so I can be here with you now. I can't look at you because all I see is pain behind your eyes.'

"You did it before you died...that pain began straight after." Then I realise something. "Wait, you know you die?"

'Well, yeah. They told me when I was brought on board to help you.'

"Which means that in some really messed up time loop, this always happened, and you didn't stop it. You knew you were going to die that day in the building yet you still carried on!"

'I can't alter the future. You know that doesn't work out well.'

"Claudia Brown..." I mutter.