★ S6 E2 - The Other Side Hurts

"We've got an anomaly. Coordinates are being sent to your devices. Two people have been reported missing," Jess tells us.

I head for my bike but Becker drags me to the car. "We all ride together. Colonel's orders."

"What sort of an order is that?" I argue, walking over to the SUV and climbing into the front passenger seat. I already hate this guy, and the off feeling I have about him hasn't budged.

It's a half hour drive and when we arrive, I can't help but stare in awe at our beautiful surroundings.

"How have I never been here?" I ask, spinning on my heels and taking in the woodland around me. "It's not even that far from us."

"Focus Lizzie," Matt says before returning to his silence. Wow, he's not up for talking today, got it. It's a moody Matt kind of day.

We trek off into the woodland, Connor sneezing from his allergies, Abby and Emily talking, Matt leading the group in silence, and Becker and I at the back, him keeping me from tripping up every time I try to walk and take a picture.

"Anyone would think you'd never been to a woodland before," he says laughing.

I side-eye him before taking another picture. "Honestly, after a year in the Cretaceous, I take our woodlands for granted. They're so much-"

"Safer?"

I laugh. "I mean, normally yes, but who knows what's out here."

"Guys!" Matt shouts from up ahead. I see the anomaly and run to catch up with him, stopping dead in my tracks at the sight.

"Blood," Becker says.

Yeah, well done Sherlock.

Abby bends down, examining the scene before us. "This belongs to a human," she says.

"And the tracks lead right through the anomaly," I continue for her. "So there are two people on the other side."

"What's the plan then?" Becker asks. Matt and I share a look and clearly Becker catches on because he begins shaking his head. "No. That's against policy, and if the Colonel finds out - which he will - then we're all toast."

"What other option do we have?" Matt asks him.

"You're not going through, end of discussion."

I grab Becker's hand, rubbing my thumb lightly over his skin. "Becker, those people could still be alive. We have to at least try."

He groans, knowing he's not going to win this fight. "Connor, what's the date on the anomaly?"

"Uh..." He presses a few buttons before looking up at Abby and I. "Late Creataceous."

I gulp down an anxious breath.

"You don't have to do this Lizzie," Matt tells me but I shake my head, shrugging off my thoughts.

"I've got more experience than you there, I'm going."

Becker steps forward. "You're not going without me."

Matt nods. "Fine, us three will go through. Connor, Emily, stay here at the anomaly sight. I want this locked. Reopen it in an hour. Abby, you're going to have to cover for us."

We all take off our black boxes and coms, handing them to the others so it'll look like we're still here before kitting up.

"Good luck," Connor says, placing my Rubik's Cube in my hand.