S2 E2 - Mixed Feelings

Sneaky pic of the prep for our summer show displays at Uni :)

Beth's POV

"What have we got?" I ask as I arrive on scene, running up to Dad.

"Firefighter says some kind of chemical leak. Apparently there's a few idiots who ignored the alarm, trapped on the 14th floor."

"His words?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

He smiles. "Yeah. Two of his firefighters are in there as well."

"OK," I say, looking around. "Oh here we go..." I mutter.

"Sorry, sorry - I got here as soon as I could," Stephen says, reaching my side.

Stephen and I are...complicated right now. I can't completely blame him for what happened between himself and Helen - she's a manipulative person and I don't know the full story - I just wish he'd have straight up told us what was happening when it did. It could have changed how the last 8 or so years have been...

"Everything alright?" Dad asks, glancing towards him. 

"Yeah, everything's fine."

Dad seems convinced but I'm not, though I choose not to say anything. There's time for questions later. 

They walk forwards and I quickly follow, not before Jenny speaks up. "Where are you going? What am I supposed to do?" 

"You'll think of something," Dad calls back and I laugh, turning around to give her an apologetic look.

As we head inside, Dad and Stephen head straight for the stairs. Fourteen flights - seriously?

After a few flights, I sigh. "If there's no fire, won't the lifts be safe?" I ask, trailing behind slightly. 

"We can't take that risk," Dad tells me as Stephen opens a door to one of the floors. Smoke begins pouring through and he quickly closes it again. I cover a hand over my mouth as I cough, trying to minimise the polluted air I breathe in.

"It smells like sh- something rotting," Stephen comments.

"Their version of the Earth's atmosphere," Dad says. "It's probably Pre-Cambrian. It's high in sulphur and carbon dioxide."

"So what do we do?" I ask.

"Help, help!" A woman screams and all of us turn to the door. Of course she had to be through there...

The other two immediately run off, and I quickly follow to catch up. The fog is thick and I try hard not to breathe too deeply which makes me light headed but I keep pushing through. 

"Are you alright?" I hear Dad ask as I catch up to them.

"There's something inside the fog," she says, terror etched across her face. She's kneeling on  top of a table, an axe in her hand. My eyes follow where she's looking and a worm-like creature appears.