S2 E5 - History Repeats

"Are you sure you're okay?" 

I nod. That's what Dad wants to see. He wants to make sure I can handle it all. He's been grilling me for the last hour about my feelings towards Helen and opening up about the situation. He tells me I can talk to him or anyone else if I need to, but I know I can't. They say they want to listen, but then they come up with an excuse to talk later. Sometimes it just feels as though they don't really want to hear anything.

He looks like he wants to say something else but the anomaly goes off, and we both snap into work mode. 

"Cutter!" Connor's yelling. "No!"

"What's up?" Dad asks when we reach him. The screens to the detector are off, and Connor is frantically pressing buttons.

"I'm not sure, it's just crashed." 

"Has it ever happened before?" is Dad's next question and Connor shakes his head.

"No."

"Maybe it was some sort of power surge because of the anomaly?" I suggest. "It could be a false alarm."

Dad nods, though he looks unsure. "But there could be an active anomaly out there right now." 

Connor's face pales slightly, and I rest a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "I'll reboot it," he says. "One second."

"You've got this," I say.

After a few moments, the screens turn on but the map's clear. "It's really strange. Everything seems to be fine now."

Dad frowns. "Run a full diagnostic."

"Okay." He presses a few buttons. "It's completely contaminated."

"Spyware," I realise, looking at the screen.

"Yeah," Dad agrees. 

"Allowing the user to switch the feed from here - to wherever they are and cut us out the loop," Connor finishes. "It must be that guy. The Cleaner!"

I shiver slightly. Something is seriously wrong. Dad was right at the canal. We are being watched. "What do we do?" I ask.

"First of all, find the anomaly." He turns to Connor. "Then clean up the detector. And don't say a word to anybody." 

It's not too long later that Jenny arrives. She's wearing a dress...but like, a very fancy one. She looks good.

"This better not be another false alarm," she says, coming over to the detector. 

"Why, were you busy?" Dad asks.

"Engagement party." 

"Very nice," I say as Connor asks, 

"Anybody we know?"

She smiles, showing off the ring on her finger. "Mine, actually." As I raise an eyebrow she sighs. "Not my idea. Future mother-in-law. It's all rather dreary."

"So you'd rather be with us?" Dad questions, smiling and she does too.

"I was going to say any excuse. So yes, even you." 

He nods before snapping back into work mode. "We have an active sign."

She nods. "Alright, I'll go get changed."

"No, there's no time," he tells her. "The anomaly's been open for two hours, maybe longer."

She looks down at herself before looking back up at Dad. "Right, well, if I break a heel, you're gonna pay."

As she walks away, I turn to Connor and Dad.

"She looks amazing," Connor mutters.

Dad smiles. "So does a Thalosa Raptor."