★ S8 E1 - Dear Lizzie

PLEASE NOTE:

The events of Fin Del Mundo link into the Elizabeth Cutter Universe and take place between the Season 7 finale and now. To clarify, Connor was in Vancouver (Addie Cross | Primeval New World) during this time. If you've not read Fin Del Mundo, not everything from here will make sense.

Connor's POV

She hasn't spoken. Not since she explained what happened. Alternate realities where all but she existed, and the people were us...but not. I know she saw Patrick, Helen, Stephen, and Nick. That alone would cause emotional pain of some form, but I know that's only the half of it.

Becker's gone.

After Lizzie disappeared, he thought she was gone for good. He stuck it out here for months, but then one day, something changed. He didn't seem to care anymore. And then the next day, he was gone. Back to the army Lester had told us.

Landon has unofficially replaced Becker - simply because Lester is sure he'll be back - but until then we have him.

I tried to ask Lester why we kept Landon here because Lizzie doesn't want to work, but Lester's almost certain that she'll come back too.

The team morale has changed.

Since I've been back from Vancouver, it's like I've walked into a new team, but it seems to be going downhill. Matt and Jenny are kind of co-team leaders, Abby and Jess are trying to cheer everyone up though I know they too are struggling. Emily decided she wanted to go back to her time for a bit - I guess we all have our own ways of coping. Lester is keeping himself busy in his office, and I know when he vanishes without word it's because he's with Lizzie.

But I catch him as he leaves his office today.

"Lester?"

He sighs, turning around to face me. "What is it Connor?"

"Are you going to see Lizzie?"

He looks anywhere but my eyes. "Anything else?"

I frown. He's ignoring my question, so I try a slightly different approach. "Is Lizzie okay?"

I know she's not or she'd be here, and Lester's face gives me all the answers I need, and it's as expected. She's struggling, and Lester's struggling to help her.

Two Weeks Earlier...

The anomaly alarm goes off and I'm besides Jess in seconds. Since Lizzie disappeared, we've been hoping, praying. We aren't entirely sure what happened, but Lizzie went through out of curiosity - Lester wasn't happy to hear that, and neither was Landon - but then it locked itself before closing.

"Jess?" I ask.

She knows what I'm asking. Whether there's any chance it could be Lizzie. She shakes her head. "I don't know," is her response.

"We'll go," I say. 

Some days we jump from anomaly to anomaly without coming back to the ARC. On the odd occasion I've worked through the night, hoping Lizzie will come back, but she never does. I don't understand it. The anomaly locked. We didn't lock it, and Lizzie didn't have the equipment to do so. I know she's not been happy, but I didn't think she'd go as far as disappearing through an anomaly for months. Something doesn't add up. Something has to have happened. I just hope to god Patrick isn't involved. 

When we arrive on site, Landon does a perimeter check while I set up the locking mechanism. I don't want to lock it, just in case, but I know that I have to.