S1 E3 - The Waves Come Crashing In

Beth walked along the corridor of the hospital towards Stephen's room. She hadn't seen him since the day he was bitten because Nick had forced her to stay home - he didn't want her worrying about Helen anymore than she was and although Beth was worried, right now she was more curious. It had been a long time since Helen vanished and if she was alive, which at current the evidence deemed true, then she must want something and Beth wanted to know what that was.

"You really can't remember a thing?" She heard Connor ask Stephen as she neared the entrance to his room.

"Not a thing after I went into the tunnels. Probably for the best though, right? Still, they say it's only short term, so, you know..."

"It's all been pretty scary, hasn't it? You know, it's not until you got bitten that I though that one of us might actually die from doing this. Really upset me."

"You must have gone through hell."

"Yep."

Beth walked in to see the two grinning but neither noticed her presence.

"It did make me think about what's important though, you know. Sorts out your priorities a bit. If you get killed, can I have your iPod?"

Beth choked back a laugh and both men turned to face her.

"Wow Connor..." Was all she could say.

"What?" He asked innocently and Beth simply shook her head laughing.

Realising Beth probably wanted to talk to Stephen, Connor bid farewell, leaving the two alone. They were silent for a few moments.

"So, how are you?" Beth asked.

"Fine, considering the whole near death experience. What about you? Cutter told me..." Beth knew where this was going and stopped him.

"I'm fine, and anyway - you were the one that nearly died - I just panicked, it's nothing." Stephen nodded. "...though I do have a question..." Beth trailed off and Stephen nodded for her to continue. "When they brought you out - you mentioned Helen." Stephen's face was blank so Beth continued. "Y-You said she was down there. Was she?" Stephen sighed, rubbing a hand over his face before looking at Beth once more.

"I don't remember any of the things I said, but it must have been a hallucination, don't stress yourself over it." He shrugged and Beth nodded.

"Yeah, probably."

*********************************************************************************************************

Lester was sitting at his desk as Claudia and Nick stood in front of him, discussing the latest anomaly at a swimming pool. Just as they were getting onto the discussion there was a knock at the door and Beth walked in.

"Sorry I'm late." She said and Lester crossed his arms over his chest.

"Don't make a habit of it." He muttered and she smirked.

Claudia got them back on track, handing a set of photos to Lester.

"Well, the DNA is conclusive. It's the boy from the swimming pool. Or what's left of him." Beth peered at the pictures in Lester's hands and frowned at the sight of the flesh.

"It's a bolus. A regurgitated mass of flesh and bone. The beast swallowed him whole and then vomited up what it couldn't digest." Nick explained as Beth took a seat on one of Lester's cabinets.

"And what kind of creature could have done this to him?" James asked, sending an annoyed expression in Beth's direction.

"What you should be asking yourself, is how the remains of a boy who was attacked in a swimming pool, end up 20 miles away in a reservoir."