S1 E6 - The Future's Not Pretty

Beth's POV

So we had a breach at the anomaly site. Apparently they think something might have come through but there are no traces so they assume whatever it was has gone back.

Now we're in Lester's office because apparently my estranged mother wants a meeting with Dad and Lester. When this happened I do not know...but to be honest I don't care. She left me for dead.

"Are you sure you don't already know what this is about?" Lester asks Dad.

Whenever Helen is in the equation there's always a loss of trust somewhere.

"Sorry, what does that mean?" Dad asks, seemingly offended.

"She's your wife, you join the dots." Lester added.

"Helen did save my life, so we should give her some credit for that." Claudia eyes me cautiously. "And if she does know something about the disappearances..."

"That's a police matter." Lester cuts her off. "There's no evidence of creature involvement."

"Yet." Stephen comments.

Lester sighs. "Okay, fine. We'll do it her way."

"Oh great..." I mutter. Can you sense my sarcasm?

Lester looks over in my direction. "But if this turns out to be another of her manipulative schemes, the deal's off and she goes straight back on the wanted list."

So now, here we are stood on a bridge overlooking a large pond. I'd say it's picturesque, which it is don't get me wrong, but unfortunately the sight of Helen destroys that.

Without saying hi she gets straight to the point which I'm grateful for. I don't want another whole family reunion type thing.

"You have a serious creature incursion. A highly evolved ambush predator. Intelligent, adaptable and ruthless." She tells us as she reaches the bridge.

"If there was a creature on the loose, we'd know about it." Claudia tells her and she simply smirks. God I hate this woman.

"At least 3 people have disappeared in the last few days." She continues.

"Missing." Lester tells her.

"Unless you decided to drag them through some anomalies..." I mutter but she chooses to ignore my comment and turns back to face Lester.

"Killed. The creature has a lair somewhere nearby. It's taken them for food."

"Now how do you know that?" Dad asks, stepping forwards.

"Because it nearly got me, too." She explains and this time it's my turn to smirk.

"You know what, I'm starting to like this creature more and more." I say.

In the corner of my eye I see Lester smirk while Helen gives me an unsatisfied look.

"What is it?" Stephen asks, bringing us back onto topic.

"It has no name." Oh well that's helpful. So much for this little meeting being worth something.

"Then which era is it from?" Dad asks.

"It doesn't come from any era. At least, not one that can be identified yet."

"You've got to be kidding me, really?" I ask, seeing where this is going.

"I'm sorry, I don't understand." Dad says looking between Helen and I.

"Yes you do, Nick. You knew it had to happen one day. You've known it ever since you first stepped into the past."