S3 E9 - My Mother, My Enemy

I walk into Lester's office after lightly tapping the door - not that I waited for an answer - to see him hanging up the phone.

"Was that Danny?" I ask.

"Yes. You might have to get on with things yourself for now. Who knows when he'll turn up."

Wow. No 'oh yes, thank you for knocking'. or some other sarcastic Lester remark.

"Very well," I say. For a moment I stand there before pushing the door shut and sitting down opposite Lester. "I found this while I was searching Helen's things back in the future." I hand him the picture of Dad and I. "Reminds me that my life wasn't always this complicated."

He looks at the picture and smiles before handing it back to me.

"If nothing's complicated, life would get boring," he tells me.

"Well I'm sure things could be a little simpler and still be interesting enough." It's at that point I note the papers on his desk. "Have you found out any more?"

"We're no closer," he tells me simply, hinting that he wants me to leave.

I nod before leaving, heading straight to the main hub where I find Becker. "I need to talk to you."

Leading him down the hallway, I pull him into my office and lock the door. Luckily, I know no one will bother trying to talk to me for at least another hour as the others won't be here until around nine.

"What's going on?" he asks as I pull the blinds shut.

I turn to face him, rubbing the back of my neck. "I think I've done something stupid..." I say. He motions for me to elaborate. "I may have sent Danny to investigate Christine."

"You what?" His voice is loud and I put a finger to my lips. Sighing, he steps closer to me and begins to speak quietly. "What were you thinking?"

"We need answers. Lester's getting nowhere, and we're just sitting here."

"So you thought breaking into Christine's facility was our best option?"

"...more like sneaking in."

He pinches the bridge of his nose. "Where's Danny now?"

"Already there." He sighs. "Becker, there's something going on. We need to find out what it is. Did you get any information; anything that could give us answers while you were kind of working for her?" He shakes his head. "Then this is our only option."

Becker paces, silent, before he turns to face me again. "This is about Helen, isn't it?"

"This is about the truth. Becker, everything we've done; everything Dad worked for...we can't let anyone destroy that: Helen, Christine, whoever the woman you saw in the future was."

"Does Lester know?"

"Not that Danny's gone there."

"If he gets caught, you know it won't end well, right?"

"It's our last resort," I say as the anomaly alarm rings. "Let's go."

We arrive at a campsite with people everywhere and I turn to the others. "Right, we'd better make this quick. I don't want casualties and I hope to god we haven't got a large incursion or this might get tricky," I say.

They all nod and I take a breath, glad they agree with me. I don't know how Dad barked out orders all the time, so confident that everyone would follow him...but I am a part of my Dad and the team has full trust in my judgement. It's going to be fine.

"The anomaly's somewhere over there," Connor tells us, pointing towards the treeline. "That's weird, my detector's gone all funny." I take a look at the screen to see it jumping about with static.