★ S7 E8 - Thank You and Goodbye

Becker's POV

A gunshot rings out and instinctively I duck, taking Lizzie down with me. I cover her when a second shot echoes through the woodland.

"Are you okay?" I look up to the voice.

"Matt," I say with relief, but my gaze rests on the gun in his hands. Matt's never been a violent person and has always been against lethals... so what's changed? I turn towards Helen who's now lying on the ground and gently place Lizzie down before walking over and bending down. "You need to start talking, right now." 

She laughs. "I thought you knew me better than that, Captain." 

I press my foot against her chest and she lets out a grunt of pain. "Why is Lizzie special? What does Grange mean? What do you mean?" 

"Lizzie, no. Lizzie!" I hear Matt say and turn around to see her pushing herself off the ground. As she turns towards me, her eyes move to Helen's and instantaneously she freezes.

Helen's look changes. I can't quite understand it...it's confusing, I guess. She looks like she suddenly cares. "There are a lot of things the ARC don't know that I never shared with them." She coughs, some blood escaping through the crack in her lips and Lizzie steps forward. "Something happens in the future. Something...bad."

"Is this before or after you kill her?" I spit, my eyes glancing towards Lizzie who's now being supported by Matt. She's still frozen. 

"This is what happens if I don't, and for Lizzie, it's far worse than death. It's far worse for all of you, but she's special because she fights, even when there's nothing left to fight for. Something inside of her knows that the world comes before everything else." She smiles. "Remember that Captain." Her head tilts to look at Lizzie. "I'm sorry, Elizabeth." She takes a shaky breath before her body goes still. My fingers reach for her wrist but there's no sign of life and I turn away, walking over to Lizzie and Matt. 

"Lizzie?" I'm cautious as I approach her.

"How did you find us?" she whispers, looking at Matt.

Him and I share a concerned look before he looks at Lizzie. "I was dealing with something here on my way back from the future and heard your voices. Just lucky I guess." 

I give him a questionable look but shrug off my suspicions while Lizzie simply nods before her eyes trail off to Helen's body. "We need to get back," I say. 

Matt nods, taking out his device and opening an anomaly. "Let's go," he says, guiding Lizzie towards the anomaly and I follow suit. We reach the woodland we left to see the others. Abby has a few cuts on her face but besides that they seem okay.

"Matt!" Emily and Abby say at the same time. 

"Where's Grange?" I ask.

"Gone, but he'll be back," Connor tells us. "We need to go, now!" 

Clambering into the SUV, I sit in the very back with Lizzie leaning against me. She hasn't said anything. She's just staring blankly into space, acknowledging nothing. That is until Jenny speaks up.

"What happened?" she asks.

"We saw Helen," Matt tells her and Jenny frowns.

"You guys told me she died in the future. That Danny witnessed it." Yeah, that's what we thought too, I think. "So she's alive?" is her next question, and she sends a glance in Lizzie's direction.

"Not anymore," Matt responds.

Lizzie's body suddenly goes stiff in my hold; her lips are parted slightly as though she wants to say something but nothing comes out. Her left hand rubs over her neck and upper chest as she looks around at the windows and doors of the car. "I need air," she whispers.