S3 E5 - The Past Never Leaves

A/N: Thank you so much to everyone for the support on this story so far, especially Scarlet_Hood01, it means a lot!

My alarm blares through my ears and I slam a hand down to shut it up but fail. Sighing, I sit up in my bed, lean across to grab it and hurl it across the room until it smashes against the wall...great, now I need a new alarm clock. I'm never much of a morning person anyway but I already want today to end and it's not even started.

Finally gaining the motivation to leave my bed I head downstairs but before I reach the kitchen I notice a letter hanging through the letterbox. The envelope is faded white with my name scribbled across it in...my Dad's handwriting.

Walking through to the kitchen I sit down at the table and open the letter.

Elizabeth,

If you are reading this then I'm sorry.

For starters, I want you to know that whatever happened, it wasn't your fault and I love you very much. In the event of my death I made Lester promise to give this to you - never tell him I said this but he isn't all that bad - anyway, I know from past experiences how you'll be feeling and I hope that you haven't shut out the team. They only want what's best for you and I do too. Please, be the person I know you are, smile, and move on with your life. The ARC needs guidance and I know you're the person to give them that. I know you'll never forgot me and I'll be by your side every step of the way.

I love you more than this letter can express,

Your Father, Nick Cutter x

A lone tear drips onto the kiss at the end of the letter, smudging the ink and I wipe my eyes roughly before placing the letter back in its envelope and putting it in my bag.

Once I eventually finish getting ready and eat, I make it to work and it feels like I've been there barely five minutes when the intruder alarm goes off and I immediately leave my office and away from Sarah to find Becker just outside.

"Were you waiting for me?" I ask but he keeps a straight face so that I'm unable to read him before proceeding to move onward and I follow him down the corridor as Connor runs out from god knows where. What on earth is going on today?

"We have an intruder in Sector 7. No identification as yet," Becker explains to no in particular person.

"Is it small and ugly in a kind of cute way?" Connor asks and Becker gives him an unimpressed look while I'm just confused as heck. "Just a guess."

"Helen?" Jenny questions as she and Lester reach us and I visibly tense. If it's Helen then she's going to pay.

"Prepare to shoot on sight."

Becker glances a worried look in my direction before we turn the corner only to come face to face with-

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" They say.

"I don't believe it!" Jenny says, clearly pissed off.

"Danny Quinn. What um- what are you doing?" I ask from Becker's side.

"You've really got to do something about your security."

"How did you get in?" Lester asks.

"Jumped the perimeter fence and kicked in a fire door. It was easy."

A part of me is relieved that it's Danny - that means it's not Helen. However, I'm not fully eased in finding out how easy it was for him to break in...that means that others can too.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Jenny's voice is firm but Danny isn't phased.

"It's my ambition to fight dinosaurs, save the world." I look to the others and no one looks impressed. I turn back to Danny and give him a sympathetic look. "Look, I just want to help, that's all."

"I warned you to stay away from this Danny," Jenny tells him and he smirks.