★ S7 E6 - Pain Is All That's Left

Randomone524 I'm sorryyyyy!

"Where are we going?" I ask. We've only been driving about 20 minutes but the buildings around me have vanished and been replaced with woodland for miles on end.

"It doesn't matter."

I sigh. "Are you going to tell me anything?"

"No because you're friends are coming, aren't they?"

That throws me off. My face screws up in confusion as he glances at me in the mirror before pressing his foot down on the accelerator. My hands instinctively grip the seat.

"What? What are you talking about?" My voice stutters as I try to focus on keeping my breathing steady. How does he know?

"That phone call. You managed to warn them somehow."

"I didn-"

"Don't lie! I know what you ARC people are like."

My words get choked up in my mouth and I find myself unable to speak. There's literally nothing I can say here.

"And I read your file, remember?" he reminds me.

I cant hide from him. He knoes eveeything, literally. My concern grows as the car gains more speed and my mind begins flashing back and forth between here in reality and the day he killed me. My heart rate spikes all of a sudden and the thumping in my chest overtakes everything else in my body.

"Stop the car," I say as he speeds up once more. How could I have been so stupid? That everything would be fine if I just ran away? Nothing is ever simple, especially when you try to escape all that makes life difficult. I allowed myself to be vulnerable, knowing that Grange was still in the world somewhere. "I said stop the car!" I'm more forceful this time but he carries on and that makes me panic more. "Grange, stop!"

He slams on the breaks and my screams echo through the car as he laughs and a tree collides with the bonnet, smashing the windscreen inward.

I'm thrown forward.

* * * * *

My head's pounding and my chest tight as I inhale sharply. My eyelids are heavy but I manage to open them enough to see the scene around me. I look to the driver's seat but Grange isn't there and I try to look beyond the car for him but it hurts too much to move. There's blood where he would've sat and the driver seat door is wide open, a small trail of blood exiting - where the hell is he? I push that thought aside, right now I need help.

I reach into the glove box, finding my phone stashed in there and speed dial Becker. It rings forever and I think about giving up but then the call connects.

"Becker?" I ask, my voice pained. I really don't have the energy for this.

"Lizzie?" His voice is laced in concern.

"I need help," I whisper, feeling my head spin slightly.

"Where are you? Are you okay? What happened?"

"Becker, please!" I say through clenched teeth. Everything hurts and I just want this to be over.

"What's wrong? Are you hurt?" he asks but my response is delayed as I hear leaves crunching from outside the now smashed up car. "Lizzie?"

"Grange..." I whisper, trying to mask my pain while my voice trails off as my mind spins.

"What? What about him?" he asks, panicked.

This time however, I don't respond as Grange comes into my vision. Ripping my seatbelt away from me, I clamber out of the totalled vehicle and run, the world tilting as I go.

"You can't run faster than a bullet," I hear him yell but don't care turn around. Just keep running and hold him off until the others arrive, if they ever manage to find me.

A root blocks my path and I trip, tumbling to the ground. He catches up and grips my shirt tight as he pulls me back up but then almost immediately throws me back down. Pained noises escape my mouth as I hit the floor again and try to scramble away but I don't have the energy to move. He puts his boot on my arm, holding it down; I let out another cry of pain as he releases it and then slams down on it harder until I hear the bone crack.

"Why are you doing this?" I whisper between breaths. "I know you worked in conjunction with Helen."

He freezes for a moment and I could've sworn there was a flash of hurt in his eyes. "We both wanted similar things, and she introduced me to the anomalies. We spent a few years together on the other side. She taught me everything she knew about them, and she told me about the ARC. You know-" He loosens his grip on me slightly. "-my daughter was killed by a creature, and two men watched it happen. They could've helped her, but they didnt. I wanted them to pay! I wanted them to feel her pain."

"So you started killing people and sending them through anomalies," I realise.

"It was amazing, and I was untracable. Anyone that somehow survived on the other side, Helen would deal with. But she's not around anymore."

"That's not my fault."

"All of this is your fault. It's your family's fault and you're the only one left."

I take a deep breath. "You still could've gone after any of us. Our team is a family."

"I know, but I knew I could break you, and now, I don't think I need to finish the job. I reckon you'll do that for me."

He fully releases me from his grip before walking away, the device in his hands. I see the glow of an anomaly as it opens a few hundred metres away but collapse down onto the floor, the pain taking over and unconsciousness consuming me.

Um...yeah, sorry about that. I like to destroy things.
Also, this is kinda short but I wanted to be evil and leave y'all on a cliffhanger.