★ S7 E5 - Dead Means You Stay That Way

Lizzie's POV

Breathe. Just breathe. You couldn't do anything else. You tried. You warned them, and there's nothing else you could've done. Except everything. You let them die.

'You need to stop blaming yourself for what's out of your control.'

I stop running. "Shut up!"

'I'm sorry, I was just trying to help.'

"Well you're not helping so just stop."

I look around at my surroundings. I've no clue where I am, or how far I've run.

'Call them.'

"No."

"Lizzie, call them."

"I said no, Dad! I can't do this anymore, I can't have you in my head."

'Lizzie-'

"No! Please just go..."

For a few moments, all is silent.

'I love you Lizzie.' Then he's gone and my head is silent once more.

I love him to but he's dead and, sadly, that's how it should stay. Like I should have.

Life made some sort of sense before that day, but now I don't know. I'm not entirely sure what my purpose is because I'm not who I used to be and I don't seem to have an end goal anymore. I'm not living...I'm just being. I feel like nothing, and the others don't understand. Dr Meadows probably wouldn't either, and she'd probably just tell Becker or Lester. So much for patient confidentiality.

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I take it out.

Becker.

I ignore the call but barely five seconds later, he's calling again, and I ignore it again. A voicemail from him comes through and I click on it.

'Lizzie, please call me! We're worried. It wasn't your fault, none of it was. You're scared, I get that, but running won't help. Please Lizzie, we're all here for you, just pick up the phone. I know I should never have lied to you and I'm sorry you found out the way you did, but I was scared of this exact reaction. Please, just come back to us and we can figure it out together.'

I don't call him back. Instead, I put my phone away and keep running - that is until I end up falling into someone and we both go tumbling to the ground.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry!"

Pulling myself up, I go to give them a hand but as my eyes rest upon their face, I freeze. No, it can't be. I stumble backwards as they stand, a devious smile on their face.

"Hello Elizabeth."

"No no no no no," I mutter. "This is not happening. This cannot be happening."

They step forward. "You know, I've been waiting for this day...when I'd see you again."

"You tried to kill me, y-you, did k-kill me."

He sighs. "Yet somehow I still seem to have failed, I know."

Biting down my anxiety, I step forward - it's probably a bad move. "What do you want, Grange?"

He too, steps forward. "I want to finish the job." Definitely a bad move. Out of his pocket, he pulls a gun. Unconsciously I step back but he lunges forward and grabs my arm, pulling me towards him roughly. He lifts the gun, digging it into my back. "Now, I want you to call your boyfriend and keep him and the others off your back. We don't need them interfering."