S5 E3 - The Heart Is Like Paper

I'm just gonna say sorry now Randomone524. Please forgive me.

"We have to find out what Connor's doing," Matt says as I pace back and forth. We're in my office again, the door locked. It's becoming quite a habit.

"He won't tell me anything, or Abby."

Matt's face drops. "You told her?"

I stop pacing. "No, I just said I was curious. She is too, but he worked straight through the night. No one's seen him. He's obsessed," I explain.

Matt rubs a hand over his face, sighing. "Well, if he won't tell either of you, we're going to have to find out some other way. And you're the only person who can do that."

We're silent for a moment until I realise what he's getting at and start shaking my head.

"You want me to break into his lab?" I ask and Matt nods. "How am I the only person who could do that? What about Abby?"

"Abby can't know, and besides, Phillip's being careful. He doesn't want Connor to have visitors, especially not Abby. Look, if I get caught, it's a disaster. I lose Philip's trust. If you get caught..."

"You're asking me to lie to him. My best friend. I don't want to risk that, I've lost too many people already." My voice is quiet.

"I'm sorry Lizzie but he's already risking it, and it's not just you, we'll all lose everything."

The anomaly alarm sounds, cutting the conversation. As I walk out, I turn back to him. "I can't, I'm sorry."

"I thought you wanted to help?" he asks and I nod.

"I do, but not like this. There has to be another way."

* * *

We arrive at the museum, our tyres screeching as we come to a stop and I leave the vehicle first, closely followed by Matt. I see Becker eyeing me but shrug it off. He probably just wants to question me on why I didn't ask him for help and instead tried to solve everything by myself once again. I can handle my anxiety.

As we enter, one of Becker's men is stood waiting. "First floor. Building's being cleared."

We reach upstairs to see screens displaying our faces. A loud noise begins echoing through the room, a repetitive electronic growling of sorts.

"Motion detector," Matt comments.

"Video installation, a bit old and tired. I'm more of a post-impressionist myself," Becker says, "The anomaly is this way," he continues, walking forwards.

Matt turns to look at myself and Abby. "You know, the more I get to know him, the more frightened I get."

I laugh.

We move onward to find the anomaly and I can't look away. It's a weird thing to explain but since spending time on the other side, they seem to be drawing me in, calling for me to go back, even though that's the last thing I want.

My thoughts are interrupted as the electronic growling starts up again.

We all look at Matt and Abby speaks what we're all thinking. "Something must have triggered it."

Becker goes to check and we all quickly follow. There are screeches and hissing as a creature appears and we all aim our guns.

"Don't shoot," Matt suddenly says and both me and Becker give him a confused look.