Story 1, Chapter 12: The Khai

Percy's POV:

There was a Khai standing right in front of my face. How? They were supposed to be extinct! I only had one choice. I leaped for it. I slashed at its chest and it roared. The empousa bit my side, trying to get me off her master. The empousa got a knock to the head, making her pass out, before I decapitated her. I stashed viciously at the creature before me and it bit my ankle, which left like acid being poured into my bloodstream. I stabbed its heart and it exploded into dust. I saw princess curls and gray eyes, then darkness.

I woke up in the camp infirmary with Annabeth standing over me. I could feel a burning sensation throughout my body. I wanted to tell her to stop crying, or that I loved her, but my body had no control over itself. I felt sick.

"Seaweed Brain!" She cried.

I wanted to say Wise Girl, but I found myself saying, "Who are you?"

She looked at me, then called out to my friends, who came in, frowning in concern.

I wanted to say, sup, but it came out as, "Who are you? Please don't hurt me!"

They all looked at me with wide eyes.

"Percy, no time for jokes!" Jason growled.

"Who are you?" I repeated, not knowing why my mouth moved on its own.

"Nemo, stop." Leo said, fear laced in his voice.

"My name is Percy, not Nemo, and who the hell are you?"

Piper walked forward. "Percy, please tell us what is going on in your head." She was charmspeaking me.

I found new strength.

"Piper! Guys, I can't control—"

But of course, I had to black out.

I dreamed of something happening a few years back, outside of camp.

An old man was tending to a man with blonde hair and brown eyes.

"Easy, now lad. You've been fighting the Khai, I see."

The boy didn't make a sound.

"I know a pine tree that will heal those wounds, but it is at the border of Camp Half-Blood. Young Thalia's Pine. I wish I could go, but I've been forbidden to enter the camp. I can try to access the tree."

The old man hobbled forward and managed to get a spoonful of sap and put it in the boy's mouth. The boy opened his eyes and recognition passed through his gaze.

"Thymos! What are you doing here?"

"I have been here to tend to you and to tell you that my time is over here. I am going to live in the universe, away from this wretched planet."

"What happened to me?"

"You were poisoned by the Khai's jaws and claws. Only sap from a pine can help, in this case, Thalia's Pine is the only one that works because it has had a life inside."

The vision faded.

Annabeth's POV:

I felt like crying. Percy didn't recognize me. I sobbed as I saw his sleeping form.

"CHIRON!" I screamed, "THIS IS URGENT!"

He trotted in, then tore the blankets off of Percy. His wounds were all dark and his red was an abnormal blackish-red. I looked at Chiron, my eyes wide with fear.

"He... His body is poisoned by the Khai's venom. He is trapped in his own mind. If he stays in his state for more than 48 hours from the moment he wakes up, he'll lose all his memories forever, including who he is."