89. No Distance

It's me again God,

Social distancing measures are set to remain in place for many months to come as we continue to battle Covid-19. For some people, this is a great hardship as they are usually very comfortable being close to others. There are however, others who value their personal space and are happy to distance themselves from people! It's surprising what we get used to and after months of practising, we have become proficient at doing life from a distance!

I guess the important thing is to make sure that we don't remain that way and that it doesn't cause people to translate the physical distancing to relational distancing. It's even possible that as many have now become used to staying away from church, they could be in a sense, keeping their distance from You!

I was reminded of Mark's account of the time Jesus was dying on the Cross. His closest disciples were in hiding and even the women who had followed Him and spent time taking care of His needs were noted as 'watching from a distance':

"Some women were watching from a distance. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joseph, and Salome. In Galilee these women had followed him and cared for his needs. Many other women who had come up with him to Jerusalem were also there."
‭‭Mark‬ ‭15:40-41‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Although this was all part of Your suffering Jesus and it was how You knew it would be, it must have been so terribly sad, because You are the One who calls us all into relationship with You.

""Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.""
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭11:28-30‬ ‭NIV‬‬

There is no distancing implied in these words! Jesus called all people to come, including children:

"Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there."
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭19:13-15‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Thank You Father that as I read Your Word and come to You in prayer, I am close! I come to You through Jesus who is the Way, the Truth and the Life. (John 14:6)

Thank You that I can be confident that You hear me and delight in spending time with me. You want to spend eternity with me so there will be no distance between us at all!

"My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."
‭‭John‬ ‭14:2-3‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I am so thankful that while I wait for this time when I will dwell in Your house forever, I have the constant reminder that You are with me, as You have poured out Your love into my heart through the Holy Spirit. I am never alone!

"And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."
‭‭Romans‬ ‭5:5‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Lord as I continue to practise social distancing for the sake of my community, may I never distance myself from You! May I never be content with Christianity that watches from a distance! May I remember that as Your child, You are close —You are with me always:

"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭139:7-10‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I so look forward to spending this day in Your Presence!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.