86. Treasure

It's me again God,

There's a message that's playing over and over in my mind throughout the months of Covid-19.  It's simple and direct:

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God."
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭3:1‬ ‭NIV‬‬

As easy as it sounds, in practise, it can be a continual struggle against fleshly desires. In many ways, the pandemic has helped us to narrow our focus and be less distracted by what is around us, however the battle for first place still rages. The pursuit of material treasures seems to consume so much of our lives, but I'm glad that Jesus tackled this issue as he spoke to his followers:

""Do not store up for yourselves [material] treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in and steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart [your wishes, your desires; that on which your life centers] will be also."
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6:19-21‬ ‭AMP‬‬

So many people have lost their jobs and businesses. The economic future is looking very grim so perhaps it will be a time when we all will stop being so focused on our bank balance and investment portfolio! Perhaps the world will at last look to the treasure they can store up in heaven.

Already, I have read news articles about how gamblers are getting their lives back on track because of the closure of clubs, pubs and casinos. Good is definitely coming from all of this!

While our material treasures will not pass from our life on earth to eternity, the good that has been possible for Your Kingdom through the use of our treasures, lasts for eternity! Continue to work in me and through my faithful giving, because it's clear that it is what will last for eternity!

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon [money, possessions, fame, status, or whatever is valued more than the Lord]."
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6:24‬ ‭AMP‬‬

Lord this really challenges me to look at where my heart is. Clearly I cannot worship You when I'm worshipping or valuing money, possessions, fame and status. My heart will always pursue what I value as a treasure. Right now, I commit to making that You!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.