26. Desperate Times

It's me again God,

Birds squawk as they fly across the familiar smoky haze at dawn, in search of water —enjoying the coolness while they can. The intensity of the heat that is to come, has been spoken about all week but these birds are not flapping about in fear! Their innocence and vulnerability combine to create in me, a great deal of sympathy for their plight! While I stay indoors in air conditioned comfort, they surely will be exhausted by the extreme heat and smoke filled air that is to come!

Lord it's been a very difficult summer so far with so many hectares of bush having been consumed by ravaging fires. These are desperate times for many who live near bush land! Lives and properties have been lost but You still reign —You have authority over the weather, whether or not our way of life here has contributed to climate change. Despite the gloomy predictions of catastrophic conditions and further losses, I know that You can turn things around!

"I know that the Lord is great,
that our Lord is greater than all gods.
The Lord does whatever pleases him,
in the heavens and on the earth,
in the seas and all their depths.
He makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth;
he sends lightning with the rain and brings out the wind from his storehouses.

Your name, Lord, endures forever,
your renown, Lord, through all generations.
For the Lord will vindicate his people
and have compassion on his servants."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭135:5-7, 13-14‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Lord please step in and change this situation today! I know that You must be waiting for people to turn their hearts to You and turn their lives around. I pray that in these desperate times, many would be brought to their knees in prayer, knowing that these circumstances are beyond their control!

After fire has swept through the bush, there is always that amazing sight when life springs forth from the ashes! I ask that this would be the case for our nation, that through the trials we face, new life in You would emerge, making us a better, brighter, stronger people who rely on You! May our point of crisis turn the tide, helping us to seek You daily and love each other as You intended. Give us a new level of compassion and patience that has never been seen before!

"Ask the Lord for rain in the springtime;
it is the Lord who sends the thunderstorms.
He gives showers of rain to all people,
and plants of the field to everyone."
‭‭Zechariah‬ ‭10:1‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Lord we are desperately in need of rain in this land! Please surprise the forecasters and open the heavens, pouring water across the country where it is needed. May all who experience Your provision know that this is from You! I thank You in advance for loving us and hearing our collective prayers for rain and revival. Change must come at heart level —let it begin with me!

"Restore us, O God;
make your face shine on us,
that we may be saved."
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭80:3‬ ‭NIV‬‬

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.