48. Be Still and Know that I am God

It's me again God,

Thank You for the comfort that Psalm 46 brought me yesterday. It was good to just stop and meditate on it throughout the day. More than ever I can see You are saying to us all:

""Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.""
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭46:10‬ ‭NIV‬‬

It seems like such a pivotal verse and really speaks into our current world situation. Even as someone who has believed for a very long time, I still find myself yearning to really know You more intimately. I am so often aware of my wandering devotion. So many other things can get in the way of me spending quality time, just quietly being in Your Presence. I have an inkling that this is going to change as more and more aspects of 21st century life are stripped away during this pandemic.

Every day, further closures and restrictions seem to be announced as our city and country rapidly moves toward a total lockdown! The days and nights seem to be so much quieter as many people are staying home. Lord it's so strange —like the shutters are being drawn on all that we have ever known! Could it be that in this time of isolation, we will all be able to finally be still? In this place of not knowing what is coming next, will we come to know who You are in all of Your majesty, greatness and fullness?

This is the turning point for us all Lord —will we finally stop and enjoy the wonder of Your Eternal Presence? Will we cease our talking and trying to make sense of things long enough to listen to Your voice? I believe You are trying to get our attention —we need to put our eyes on the things that last forever, like Your Word!

"All people are like grass,
and all their faithfulness is like the flowers of the field.
The grass withers and the flowers fall,
because the breath of the Lord blows on them.
Surely the people are grass.
The grass withers
and the flowers fall,
but the word of our God endures forever.""
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭40:6-8‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Thank You that in this world where nothing stays the same, I can be sure that You are the same yesterday, today and forever. Your Word endures forever!

I see Your wonderful attributes as I read on in this chapter:

"See, the Sovereign Lord comes with power,
and he rules with a mighty arm.
See, his reward is with him,
and his recompense accompanies him.
He tends his flock like a shepherd:
He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young."
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭40:10-11‬ ‭NIV‬‬

How amazing it is to be reminded in this quiet time with You, that the God I put my hope in, is mighty and powerful, generous and gentle! Thank You that You lovingly lead me like a shepherd!
I truly am so blessed and my heart just wants to exalt You!

No wonder David could confidently say:

"The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing." Psalms‬ ‭23:1‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I pray that especially in these troubled times, I would be able to say this with all my heart too!

"Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever." Jude‬ ‭1:24-25‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Amen.