29. Fan into Flame the Gift of God

It's me again God,

As I clear up after Christmas and decide where I am going to put the gifts I have been given, I am reminded that You gave me the most wonderful gift of all! Some gifts I received this Christmas may be put away in a drawer or cupboard but others are left out as they are meant to be used every day. I sense You are reminding me that I should be using the incredible gift of Your Holy Spirit more than I have been:

"For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline."
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭1:6-7‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I really do want to draw on that power, love and self discipline more in the coming year! These verses suggest that I need to 'fan into flame' the gift that is already in me. Reading on, Paul tells Timothy how to do this:

"So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God. He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel."
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭1:8-10‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Lord I know I need to be less worried about what others think about my lifestyle choices. Help me to happily share the testimony of how You are with me and bring me through all kinds of circumstances. May I not shrink away from situations that may require me to suffer for the sake of spreading Your Word.

Lord I am challenged as I consider how I will serve You in the new year. Please speak to me and guide me as I read Your Word. Thank You for saving me and calling me to live a holy life. This was always Your purpose for me and I am determined to press in and discover how I can do this better in 2020!

In the meantime, I seek to bring You glory and enjoy the grace You continue to lavish on me day after day!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.