44. Social Distancing

It's me again God,

As the days go by, there is a lot of new information to take in concerning this virus that is changing the way we all live. Each country has their own approach based on the severity and speed of transmission.

Due to the fast spread of the virus in many countries, social distancing has been implemented and so large gatherings are being discouraged or cancelled and people are generally advised to stay at least one metre away from each other. Adding to that, greetings such as handshakes, hugs or kisses are to be avoided.

Learning to keep our distance from each other should in this situation bring about positive results in slowing the spread of the virus as it is a protective measure. It makes me wonder what it's like for people who always live like this, and there are many out there, who for one reason or another, have distanced themselves from people or been socially ostracised by families, friends or work colleagues. It's a sad thing not to feel the touch of others and to have lost that connection. Loneliness can be very debilitating in the long term.

I also think of those people who have distanced themselves from You for one reason or another —this is an even greater tragedy! I guess from time to time I have done this myself and it really didn't feel good! There were no positive outcomes, that is until I cried out to You once more!

New social distancing could very well make some people prefer their own company and get used to doing life alone but when this whole pandemic is over, hopefully people will feel that they are safe to make physical contact once more.

For some, it may take a bit of time to have confidence to attend community events again. Depending on how long this state of emergency lasts, it could take some time to reestablish relationships —there could be some awkwardness.

However when I think back to times when I have isolated myself from You, I have wondered if I would ever feel that closeness again —until I took the first step of seeking You out in prayer. The very second my heart reached out to You, I was aware of Your almighty Presence!

"Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah‬ ‭29:12-13‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Thank You so much that even in these difficult times when isolation from others may become necessary, You are there for me to talk to —anytime, any place and for however long I want to talk. You never tire of me! You won't be too busy like friends or family can be when I want to call them.

As well as this, You take action with what is troubling me:

"And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus." Philippians‬ ‭4:19‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Even now I sense Your closeness as You bring Scriptures to mind, reminding me that I am not alone even in this time of social distancing!

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭41:10‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Thank You for the reassurance I have in being in Your Presence. Let me not be fearful of anything ahead of me but remember that You never leave me:

"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze."
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭43:1b-2‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Thank You for loving me and that You are a God of community, You don't intend for me to be alone. Help me to stay connected with You and with others in whatever way I can during these challenging weeks ahead. May these difficult times cause me to ultimately live better in community than ever before!

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:38-39‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I am not alone because nothing can separate me from You!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.