27. Light in the Darkness

It's me again God,

There's barely a sound outside as everyone lies waiting to hear the promised rain. Thank You for the coolness of these past two days after the intense heat that brought with it so much destruction. Everyone lies in wait for You to step in and change the situation.

More than two thousand years ago, the world lay in wait for a promised Saviour. The prophet Isaiah had foretold His birth, 700 years before this:

"The people walking in darkness
have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of deep darkness
a light has dawned.

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called Wonderful Counselor,
Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the greatness of his government
and peace there will be no end.
He will reign on David's throne
and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it with justice
and righteousness from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this."
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭9:2, 6-7‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Such amazing words to read on the other side of the first Christmas! Jesus came with all of Your power and authority —in essence, You came down to earth God, in the form of a tiny baby. Thank You that I have been privileged to know You as Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father and Prince of Peace! Thank You that You established Your Kingdom and You will keep it going forever!

In a world with so many troubles and uncertainties, it is such a comfort to know You! Thank You that even in the midst of tragedy and turmoil, You bring peace that passes all understanding. Even in what seems like great darkness, You shine Your light among us at this Christmas time, reminding us that You care about what is going on. You are calling us all to take our eyes off our problems and put them on You.

Thank You for reminding me that You keep Your promises! John wrote of the great light that we celebrate at Christmas and of the fact that darkness can not overcome the light of Jesus:

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."
‭‭John‬ ‭1:5‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Lord I pray for all who hear of this wonderful news, that they would receive Jesus as their personal Saviour, the most precious gift ever!

"Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God."
‭‭John‬ ‭1:12-13‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Thank You that I am Your child, because Jesus came! Thank You for the new life I have for all eternity. May Your life in me, continue to show Your light to all this Christmas.

"In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind."
‭‭John‬ ‭1:4‬ ‭NIV‬‬

For Your glory,
Amen.