69. Not My Will But Yours Be Done

It's me again God,

With all the changes to our daily routines and many restrictions just now, it's hard to believe it's almost Easter! A time when churches are usually filled to capacity, will instead see us mark this important time in our own homes. It will be very different but perhaps it will give us more time for personal reflection as we consider what took place. 

It's time to go back to that evening before Good Friday and remember those significant events that took place as Jesus shared His last meal with the disciples.

"And he said to them, "I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God." After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, "Take this and divide it among you. For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes." And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you."
‭‭Luke‬ ‭22:15-20‬ ‭NIV‬‬

These are such familiar words —we have heard them so many times, as we took part in what many refer to as the Lord's Supper.  While we may not be able to meet at church to partake in this sacrament that reminds us of Your Son's sacrificial death, we can certainly take bread and wine or juice and still be thankful in our own homes.

Lord we have so much to be grateful for! The disciples were still unaware of what was about to happen to Jesus but it was going to be a very eventful evening! Even as they all sat around the table, Jesus knew those friends He loved were about to fall away. He knew that they would not have His back at this most pivotal time in history! He would have to go to the cross alone!

"But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table.

"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers." But he replied, "Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death." Jesus answered, "I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me.""
‭‭Luke‬ ‭22:21, 31-34‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I imagine Peter must have been shocked at this prediction but sadly we know it came to pass and although we like to think we would not have betrayed Jesus, if we are honest, at that point in history, we would have very likely done the same thing!

"Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation." He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground. When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. "Why are you sleeping?" he asked them. "Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.""
‭‭Luke‬ ‭22:39-46‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I love the way we see Jesus praying in these moments and of course encouraging His disciples to do the same. How precious are those words that remind us of the great sacrifice Jesus was about to make as He asked You, "if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done". The love and obedience here brings me to tears, as do the events that followed!

"While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him, but Jesus asked him, "Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?""
‭‭Luke‬ ‭22:47-48‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Here in the recount,  my heart begins to race as I imagine how heartbreaking this moment was for Jesus but there was so much more that would happen as this tight knit circle of friends would fall away!

"Then Jesus said to the chief priests, the officers of the temple guard, and the elders, who had come for him, "Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come with swords and clubs? Every day I was with you in the temple courts, and you did not lay a hand on me. But this is your hour—when darkness reigns." Then seizing him, they led him away and took him into the house of the high priest. Peter followed at a distance. And when some there had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, Peter sat down with them. A servant girl saw him seated there in the firelight. She looked closely at him and said, "This man was with him." But he denied it. "Woman, I don't know him," he said. A little later someone else saw him and said, "You also are one of them." "Man, I am not!" Peter replied. About an hour later another asserted, "Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean." Peter replied, "Man, I don't know what you're talking about!" Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times." And he went outside and wept bitterly. The men who were guarding Jesus began mocking and beating him. They blindfolded him and demanded, "Prophesy! Who hit you?" And they said many other insulting things to him."
‭‭Luke‬ ‭22:52-65‬ ‭NIV‬‬

These are words that are so hard to read as I remember how Jesus suffered —and He did this because the world needed a Saviour! My sin took Jesus to this place —Your love for me allowed the most perfect, innocent one the world had ever seen, to suffer and make a way back to You! Thank You so much for enduring it all for me Jesus.

Help me today to be mindful of all You suffered as I continue to hear of so many who are in need of Your saving love. At this time, many endure so much hardship as a result of this pandemic. May people turn their eyes to You for help this Easter. Bless all who are unwell at this time. May they know You love them and that You understand their suffering. Lord please bring comfort and healing,
In Jesus' Name,
Amen.