Reset

Kakashi POV

I stood there looking like an idiot after Y/n left. I couldn't believe what's happened over the last few days. My heart ached. I wish life had a reset button. If I could go back to just a few nights ago. Just last night even, not react the way I had. I simply pushed her into his arms even more. If I could, I'd go all the way to the night before she left. Maybe, just maybe, I'd go even further back and refuse Minato on taking the mission. But, in all honesty, I wish I could go back to the moment I fell in love.

This was for the best. We were no good for each other. I couldn't admit my feelings for her. She was my greatest weakness and my greatest strength. She makes me want to be better. Stronger. The best me I can be. When she was with me, all I could do was worry about her. I'd watch her every move to make sure she was alright. A mission with her? It would be too distracting. Even the mission to Suna had me on edge. Then watching her flirt.

I left the bar without a word to anyone. It was time I went back to the way I was before. I could return to that life until Naruto came home. I had a little over a year and half before that happened. It would be a long, dark and lonely road, but I would be stronger at the end of it. So would she. Genma was no good for her. He would use her and hurt her in the end. I simply couldn't offer her the love she deserved. I'm a broken man.

I walked past her apartment and the need to enter was almost unbearable. I couldn't figure out why, so I gave in. As I stood in the debris field, I picked up her faint scent. I moved towards her bedroom slowly, wanting to see if I was right. There she was, curled into a ball in the middle of her bed. She was all alone in her destroyed apartment. Because of me.

I ached with the need to hold her again. Cry with her. Emotions. I hated them. I always had. My father... Obito... Rin... Minato... If I lost her. I'd likely kill myself. If there wasn't a future with her in it, even as comrades, I couldn't live. I silently left, deciding to respect her wishes.

I pulled my vest off and tossed it haphazardly on the couch. I heard the sound of something fall to my floor and moved to investigate. On the floor, next to the couch, was the bracelet I had just given Y/n. Anger and shame swelled in my chest. Was she that serious? Did I really ruin any chance at even being friends?

No. I ruined that chance a long time ago. Doesn't that reset button exist? To kiss her one last time. To feel her body beneath mine again. To hear her moan my name as she reached her climax. I wanted to feel her again. The time in the forest was one I also wanted to reset and take back. Granted, it felt amazing to be inside her. And the high of being outside, in the rain. But it was wrong and not how I wanted our first time to be.

I sighed as I held her bracelet. The Hatake crest sat amungst the charms. She really was done. She dropped Shisui's ring in the river where his body lay. She gave me back the crest. I wanted her to have it. It was a silent promise that she'd likely never know the meaning to. Now, she definitely wouldn't know. If I could pick anyone in the world to marry: it was her.

She was perfect. And imperfect. Beautifully broken is what Minato had called her. His Hime. He asked me to watch over her. To care for her. He even said when she's older, mature and a beautiful young woman, that I'd likely fall for her. It was his wish to give me her hand even. It was a strange thought. I was only 14 when he said it, she was 6. It felt like he was planning an arranged marriage. I remember scoffing and telling him he was as bad as Jirayia.

Hime. She hates being called that. But it's the truth. Hiruzen had the proof all those years and waited for her to return. I wanted to tell her. I begged Tsunade and Jirayia to tell her, but they said we couldn't. Not unless we had the scroll. I never read the scroll, I simply know what Minato told me. Later on, Jirayia confirmed it. Truth is, I wanted to call her My Hime.