Missing Nin

Kakashi's POV:

The heat was sweltering, already a blistering summer, and it was just the end of June. I kept a casual demeanor even though those closest to me knew I was far from okay. Y/n has been gone two months now and I begged Kami for her to return to me everyday. The feel of her bracelet in my pocket a constant reminder of the mistake I had made. The metal seemed to singe my skin every time I touched it. I clenched it tightly, one hand in my pocket and the other holding my book that I wasn't even reading as I strolled through the village.

I had barely spoken to Tsunade over the last two months, though unfair, I blamed her for Y/n leaving. In truth, it was no ones fault, no single persons fault. Minato was at fault for asking us all to keep the secret. Hiruzen for continuing to ask us to keep the secret. Jirayia and Tsunade for sheltering her so much and not coming clean, simply because they wanted the scroll. Then there was Danzo, who somehow had the scroll. And me. I was definitely to blame.

"What do you mean?" Asuma's voice hit my ears as I rounded the corner.

"She didn't check in with Master Jirayia." The second voice, Shikamaru Nara.

I pulled my book down and saw the two walking towards me. "Kakashi." Asuma stopped short.

"Is something wrong?" I looked between the two and then they exchanged a look. The Nara rubbed the back of his neck and I could tell he was uneasy.

"Y/n missed her check in this month." Asuma answered and I almost dropped my book. "I'm headed to see Lady Tsunade now."

I pocketed my book and turned around, leading the other two now. There was a tense silence as we walked to the Hokage mansion. Tsunade still forbid me from telling anyone the details of why Y/n left, and it destroyed my friendship with Asuma and Kurenai. Iruka and Genma talked to me less and less as well.

"There you are. What took- Kakashi?" Tsunade looked confused as she looked at me.

"We ran into him on the way here." Asuma explained to Tsunade.

Tsunade sighed and sat down in her chair. "She told Jirayia that she'd meet him in Suna ten days ago. He waited for five days before he and Naruto went looking for her. Lord Gaara last saw her two weeks before that. I can't list her as missing yet, but I'm sending Shikamaru, Kiba and Neji to look for her, with Asuma as captain."

"Why not ask me?" I tried to remain calm.

"She won't want to see you." Tsunade countered.

"That doesn't mean I can't go look for her."

"I'll accept the mission if you tell me what in Kami's name happened two months ago." Asuma interrupted.

I shoved my hands in my pockets and glared at Tsunade. She sighed before propping her chin on her hands. "What I say doesn't leave this room." Asuma and Shikamaru both nodded. "Y/n is a result of a one nightstand. Not just any one nightstand though. The princess of a the Kaminari clan slept with Minato Namikaze." The air was sucked from the room.

"Did you just say-"

"Yes." Tsunade cut off Asuma.

"Fuck." Asuma mumbled as Shikamaru mumbled something about troublesome news.

"Short version: Jirayia, Kakashi and myself all knew. We didn't tell her. Danzo gave her a scroll that's been missing for nine years now. It held a message from Minato and her mother."

"No wonder she left." Asuma mused.

"Not helping." I barked. "My ninkin can help." I was practically begging at this point.