The Truth

Kakashi and I awoke the next morning and readied ourselves in silence. While I wouldn't call it awkward, I still felt there were things that should be said. Maybe it's because I couldn't help but feel as though part of last night was genuine. I'm not sure if he felt awkward at all, Kakashi was always a more silent type.

We ate breakfast in quiet as well. Only exchanging greetings with our waitress and hostess. He did discuss our travel plans for heading home, but that was it. We made our way to the Kage building and were greeted normally. I could see Kakashi relax slightly, realizing that maybe Kankuro didn't tell anyone about last night.

We were escorted to Gaara with no questions. The doors opened as Gaara's voice called for us to enter. He and Kankuro were alone in the room, in a heated discussion it seemed. Gaara nodded to our escort and the doors were closed behind us.

"My brother tells me you saved his life last night."

Shit! I dropped to a knee as I did the night before, showing my fealty to the Kage before me. "Yes Lord Gaara. Please forgive me for my intrusion."

"There's no need to kneel before me. I appreciate your honesty with Kankuro. I understand the Leaf and Lady Tsunade. Though I'm sure it was more the Village Elders who had a hand in this." I rose to my feet.

"You're likely right." Kakashi commented.  "We still apologize." He bowed fully.

"She saved my life. Please, don't apologize."

Kakashi gave a closed eye smile, but I could tell it wasn't a genuine one, the corner of his eye didn't crinkle.

"Is there anything else about Tanaka or his group you can tell us?" Gaara asked.

"Not currently. I believe Kankuro said the Leaf sent a file over on him? It's likely all I know as well." I explained.

"I see." Gaara stood and approached us, he extended his hand slowly, unsure of himself, "Thank you. For everything."

I shook his and and smiled wide, "Thank you, Lord Gaara."

Kakashi and Gaara exchanged a handshake and goodbyes. Gaara took his seat behind his desk and looked to his brother. "Kankuro, would you please escort them?"

"Yes. Of course."

Once we left the building, Kankuro again fell in step next to me. I could feel the tension between the men and I found it comical. My pretend boyfriend from the night before is ticked off at the 17 year old man-boy who kissed me. Said man-boy is unsure if I told the pretend boyfriend, whom he doesn't know IS a pretend boyfriend. Comical indeed.

"Will you be visiting the Leaf soon?" I asked Kankuro.

"We'll be coming in six months I believe. The next Chunin exam."

"I'll treat you to some ramen while you're there."

"You don't have to do that. If anything, I owe you." He tried to wave me off.

"I think you're even." Kakashi butted. I elbowed him again, "Ow."

"Ignore him." I smiled at Kankuro.

The edge of the village neared and we slowed our pace. We came to a complete stop at the edge of the wall. Kakashi and I stepped ahead and faced Kankuro.

"Thank you for having us." Kakashi held his hand out.

"Of course. We look forward to visiting Konoha soon." Kankuro shook his hand.

Kankuro looked to me and hesitated, he didn't have his face paint today. I smiled lightly and stepped forward, offering a short kiss to his cheek.