No Strings

I was finally headed to Tsunade for my final physical. She had refused to put me anywhere to occupy my time. So, I had spent the last week moping around the ANBU. Ibiki was tired of it, so he let me handle filing all the reports. I was able to observe interrogations as well. I may have played a few pranks while I was killing time. Anko and I have been civil to one another. I've been seeing a lot of her this last week.

I also spent a lot of time with Iruka over the last week. The Sunday after our date, we spent almost the entire day together. It was a lazy day. We cooked breakfast together and then laid around on the couch. I was sketching while he was reading. I even made on for him. It was when he had fallen asleep on the couch that morning. He seemed so at ease, at peace. I didn't spend the night again. I decided that I was going to keep him at arms length. It was the best thing for him. He may have found a way to shatter the casing around my stone heart a little, but I didn't want to hurt him. I already destroyed Genma. Iruka was too good for that. He didn't deserve that at all.

"That eager for me to release you?" Tsunade smirked as she looked at me standing in front of her.

"You know I can't sit still that long." I replied.

"Well, you're fully healed. I guess I'll approve you to go back on duty."

"You guess?"

"I need you out of my hair, and so does Ibiki. You're clear."

"Thank you!" I yelled as I headed out.

"Hey!" I glanced over my shoulder with a questioning look. "I'm not finished."

"Oh," I turned around, "Sorry." I answered sheepishly.

"Next month we're hosting the Chunin exams."

"Yes?" I wasn't sure where she was going.

"That week, you'll be on Kage detail. For Gaara and myself. Obviously, I'll have more details then, but I wanted to let you know. It'll be for the entire week."

"Do I have to?"

"Yes. I trust you. Gaara trusts you. His brother requested you to be on their detail."

Sigh. "Okay."

"Now, you're dismissed." She smiled.

"Thank you." I gave her a small bow and made my way out.

I hadn't seen anyone aside from ANBU and Iruka over the last week. I had managed to keep a low profile and I liked it that way. Granted, Anko made sure to keep me up to date on all the gossip. The woman was a walking documentary when it came to who was doing who. According to her, Genma had been keeping his distance from women. Asuma and Kurenai were seen together more and more, but still nothing official. Anko herself, was staying home more. She really did take what happened with Genma to heart. I guess she really did love him.

The things we do for love...

"I guess I should summon Rowan." I mumbled as I walked to the river. I didn't feel like going to see Ibiki right away. The fresh air was nice. I felt like I kept myself confined indoors even though that wasn't a requirement to my time off.

"Lady Y/n." Rowan bowed his head.

"You might want to take a seat." I gave him a grin that he knew all to well.