Chīsai Tori

The village sat at the edge of a river, just off the main road. It was filthy, shady and allowed many Bingo Book worthy nin refuge. My hand itched to kill, wanting to rid the world of this scum. Lightning danced across my palm as I thought about it. Rowan nudged me, bringing me back to reality.

"Are you sure you're alright? Your scent is off." Rowan asked.

"I'm fine, Rowan." I glanced down at him, "It's time."

"I don't want to do this." He mumbled, walking away.

I followed after him, wanting to have some distance between me and the village. "I don't want you to either, but I need to have a believable story."

"I know that."

We had taken our time, the three day journey took us six days instead. I remained silent as we walked, watching the sun set. We discussed that he would rough me up, I would sleep outside for the night and then I stumble into the village in the morning. So, here we are. Rowan charged at me, tackling me to the ground. We rolled through the dirt, twigs scratching and rocks bruising me.

Rowan scratched at my clothes and nipped at my skin. He used his paw to swipe at my face, avoiding clawing the flesh. Lip busted, eye swollen and body littered, clothes tattered. Rowan and I curled together in the hollow of a tree for the night. Rowan licked my face apologetically before nuzzling into my neck.

The sun light leaked through the tree branches and my body refused to move. Dried blood caked my skin and clothes. My hair was plastered to my face as well, sweat and dirt making it a mess. I stood, legs wobbling, and stumbled into the tree. Rowan had left me, incase someone found me in the night. He would be patrolling the woods, waiting for me if needed.

Whispers of my disheveled appearance followed me through the village. Tanaka would be in the inn, the gambling hall or the bar. He always talked about this village, saying how he wished I would hide away with him here. I focused best I could, without letting my chakra flare, and found him. The gambling hall.

I leaned on the doorway, clutching my arm, letting a smile grace my features and tears brim as I whispered his name, "Tanaka." He was as handsome as I remembered. Hair messy and disheveled, my fingers twitched remembering the way it felt in their grasp.

His eyes moved from the card game he was betting on when he heard my voice. They were hard and menacing, until they landed on me, they warmed and softened. "Y/n? You came?" He stood so quickly his chair fell over and he rushed to me.

Would it be this easy? I practically fell into his arms as he reached me. "They thought I was a spy." I spoke weakly, "They held me captive." I swallowed hard, my throat dry, "Interrogated me."

"Shhh." He stroked my hair, "Let's go to the inn." He glanced back to his fellow card players, "I'll be back."

I made myself seem frail and small, weak and in need of his help. I leaned into him as we walked to the inn. His pulse was steady, no sweat on his brow, he seemed genuine in his actions. I knew it could be an act, after all, he had lied to me for years.

"How did you escape?" He questioned as he drew a bath.

"A Chunin guard, newly appointed, he didn't know about my summon."

"Where is Rowan?"

"Captured." I choked on a sob.

"You can't summon him?" He questioned as he faced me, moving me to stand again.

I shook my head no. "I've tried."

"They likely have him in a chakra suppressing cell." I nodded.