Age: 4

"Oh, Minato, thank you for coming so quickly." The third Hokage addressed the young Jonin. The Hokage placed his pipe onto his desk as Minato approached.

"I was told it was urgent. So I left team 7 at the training grouds." The handsome blonde replied.

"Here." Hiruzen extended his arm, holding a scroll for Minato to take, "A young girl was found just outside the gates. The only things she had on her, aside from the clothes on her back, were this scroll and this necklace." He again held his arm up, this time showing the confused man the necklace in question.

It was simple yet beautiful. Minato knew that necklace. It belonged to someone he thought he'd never see again. Minato reached for the chain slowly. He inspected it, confirming his suspicions. Then, he placed the item in his vest pocket and opened the scroll. Once finished, he put the scroll on the Hokage's desk.

Minato's words were steady even though his heart was thundering in his chest. "I'll go inform Kushina that the young girl will be moving in with us."

"Her name is all she remembers about herself. She's at the hospital for a routine physical. I asked Inoichi to examine her as well." Hiruzen watched Minato tense slightly, "I have to protect the village." He added.

With a solemn look on his face, Minato bowed, "I understand. I'll retrieve her after I speak to Kushina."

****

Minato walked quickly to the hospital after speaking to his wife. She was understanding, not questioning him. Happy, in fact, with taking in the orphaned girl. Her mother had been killed in action, a shinobi from another village. Kushina's heart broke at the thought of leaving the orphaned girl alone.

"I'm here for y/n," Minato told the nurse at the desk.

"Ah, yes. Sweet girl. Quiet, though." She stood quickly and walked down the hall.

She slid open the door to an examination room, and he saw a small girl sitting on a bed, curled against herself. The girl smiled lightly at the man that was talking to her. He offered her a small candy, which she accepted shyly.

"Oh, Minato, right on time." Inoichi Yamanaka greeted.

He waved Minato over as the girl glanced over her shoulder. Then, as Minato moved to stand in front of her, he took in her appearance. H/l, h/c hair that seemed smudged with dirt. E/c that shone with wonder and curiosity but held fear. Her clothes had been exchanged for a hospital gown.

"Y/n, this is Minato Namikaze. He and his wife, Kushina Uzumaki, will be taking care of you." Inochi spoke as he pointed to the man who entered the room.

The girl timidly looked up at the man, noticing his brightly colored hair first. His shining blue eyes were soft and caring. He wore the same green vest that most of the people she had seen in this village had on. As well as a blue shirt and pants. It was apparent, even to the small girl, that he was a Shinobi as well.

"Hello, y/n. It's nice to meet you." The man named Minato said to the quiet girl.

Y/n looked away. She seemed confused. She couldn't remember anything. Only her name. She could only recall her FIRST name. It bothered her the entire time Inochi spoke to her. Y/n. That was it.

"It's okay, you don't have to say anything. I'm sure this is overwhelming for you." Minato added as he walked closer. She only nodded, still unsure of what to say. "I hear you're having a hard time remembering where you're from." She gave another nod. "That's okay," He smiled so brightly. The timid girl couldn't help but offer him a smile of her own, "There's a beautiful smile."