Too Late

*****Trigger Warning!*****

Kakashi POV

I was off today and I was sitting home with Pakkun reading my latest Icha Icha. Much to my dismay, Pakkun was lecturing me. I sighed and tossed my book on the coffee table. Pakkun jumped on the couch and moved closer to me.

"What is it?" I asked, my single eye looking at the small dog.

"You've been awfully quiet."

"I am quiet." I shrugged.

"Kakashi."

"Pakkun." I matched his disappointed tone.

"Where's Y/n?"

"What does she have to do with anything?"

"Everything." Pakkun answered knowingly.

"She's either on a mission or at Iruka's." I responded plainly.

"Iruka's?"

I guess I haven't seen Pakkun since they've been together, aside from a mission. "They're dating now."

"That's hard to believe."

"He's good for her."

"That's not the point." Pakkun sighed. "Never mind. You never listen to me anyway."

"You want to go for a walk?"

"Do you think I'm some simple minded dog who will get distracted by a walk?" I lifted a brow, "Yes."

"Thought so."

I slipped my shoes on and stepped outside with Pakkun. We weaved our way through the village and headed for the gates, a nice walk outside is just what I need. I walked without direction and found myself somewhere I hadn't thought about in what seemed like years: the field.

The field Minato would bring Y/n when she was a child. The field Y/n would disappear to when she was living with the Sarutobi's. The field she dragged me to to train in as a teenager. The field I love watching her in when she sneaks away on her days off since she's been back home, I never realized it was this field.

"Something's coming." Pakkun's warning snapped me from my daze.

Bursting through the tree line was a blur of black. I couldn't make out what it was, I knew it was a creature of some sort, but that was all I knew. It stopped suddenly, sniffing the air deeply. The animals head quickly turned to me and Pakkun, I was worried at first, thinking it was hungry. When I saw those light blue eyes, I immediately recognized him.

"Rowan." I mumbled.

I took off without question, closing the distance between the wolf and myself, Pakkun hot on my heels. Rowan and I met half way and he collapsed before me, a nasty, fresh scar ran down his side. His breathing was labored and he seemed exhausted.

"Y/n." He managed to pant out.

"What about her?" I knelt down next to him.

"Captured. Akatsuki."

"Pakkun, find Hana Inuzuka."

Pakkun took off in a hurry as I stayed with Rowan. I started stroking his muzzle, trying to calm him how I've seen Y/n do before. His breathing slowed and his eyes closed. I had so many questions that plagued my mind but I simply kept my focus on the wolf.

"It's been three days since I've seen her." The wolf spoke softly. "Danzō assigned a mission." I tensed at hearing that name.

"Just rest. Help is coming." I assured the large canine companion.