Reality

Darkness. Pitch black, still and soundless. I was falling but the scream that I was trying to let go seemed stuck in my throat. I gave up, I let myself fall freely, without struggle. I closed my eyes, accepting my fate. This may not be reality, but I would die. Kakashi would die trying to protect me. Reality was a bitter bitch.

Kakashi may be one of the strongest Shinobi in all the Lands, if facing Itachi Uchiha and Kisame Hoshigaki, he didn't stand a chance. If he was trying to protect me at the same time, I know he wouldn't make it. The man I loved would die protecting me, never knowing that I still loved him.

Reality. I wasn't falling anymore, but this still wasn't real. I was in a field of wildflowers, blowing in the wind. I sat up, immediately knowing where I was: the field Minato would watch me play in. I loved this field, it brought me comfort. I visited it frequently, even as an adult, I would flop back and hide in the tall grass and flowers.

"Reality? You haven't faced reality in years, my sweet."

No. This isn't real. I screwed my eyes shut, hoping if I didn't see him, it wouldn't hurt as bad. "You're not real." I whispered.

"No, I'm not. But you can still hear me. See me. Touch me." I felt his breath on the nape of my neck, "kiss me." He rasped in my ear.

"Shi." I chocked. "I rather Itachi have tortured me."

"He promised me he would protect you as much as he could." He admitted. "Look at me, please."

I finally let my eyes open and found Shisui in front of me. If possible, by whatever powers Itachi had, Shisui aged. He was taller, broader and more built. I wanted to throw myself at him, cry and sob, hit him and yet, I wanted to make love to him.

"You're so beautiful."

"Shisui, why are you here? What is the point of this? You left me, you threw yourself off a cliff and left me. Itachi, killed his clan, and left me. All anyone ever does is leave me."

"Y/n." His voice was somber.

"Minato. Kushina. Hiruzen. Jirayia may still be alive, but he left me just the same. Zabuza. They all left me. My own parents!"

"Kakashi." He wasn't asking me about Kakashi, he was telling me.

I shook my head, "All we ever do is fight."

"You have to try, my sweet. You have to let him in. You have to trust him."

"How?" I scoffed as the tears began to fall. "That mission, my entire life. I can't."

"Minato did it to protect you." Shisui's hands held my face and his thumbs brushed my tears.

"Why?"

"I can't tell you."

"Shi, please." I begged.

"You'll know one day. I promise you that." He kissed my forehead and I closed my eyes, missing his touch. "It's time to wake up, my sweet."

"Don't go." My hands were clinging to his shirt.

"You know this isn't real."

"I can pretend. Just a little while longer."

"My sweet, I will always love you. I will always hold you dear to me. You will always love me and I know that. But," he smiled sadly, "We weren't meant to be."

"How can you say that?" His words hurt, but I did feel the truth in them.

"Is that bracelet tucked away in your pouch?" My eyes widened. "It was always him." Shisui pressed his lips to mine, one last time. I sobbed as I felt him fade into nothing.

Reality. A bitter bitch indeed.

Darkness swarmed me again. I didn't want to wake up. I didn't want to face reality at all. Wait? Can I wake up? I can sense someone close, but I'm not awake. Am I alive? Was that genjutsu? Or was that my last goodbye before I burn in eternal flames? Kami knows heaven doesn't await me.

Reality? Shisui said I had to wake up. That phrase had many meanings. Shisui. Life could've been simpler if you'd been alive. But, your words, Shisui, are they true? Was it always him? Could I let him in? Could I trust him? Kakashi....

My fingers twitched as I began to stir. I felt a soft touch on my cheek and I tried to open my eyes. Kakashi. His scent was strong, lingering in the air. I managed to open my eyes finally, taking in the man I was afraid was dead.

"Ka-" My throat felt like I had swallowed gravel.

"Shhh. Don't talk." His voice was low, tired. I held my emotions in check while I scanned my surroundings. "I'll get you some water." He moved away for just a moment. "Let's sit you up."

I nodded and, with his help, pushed myself upward. I hissed as I felt the pain in my abdomen, reminding me of what happened. I held the canteen, hands shaking, but I was able to drink without his help. I sighed and leaned against the wall of the cave.

"How long?" I managed to speak.

"Today is the third day." My mind processed his words a moment. I guess I didn't want to face reality after all. "What did he show you?" I could tell he didn't really want to know, but at the same time, his curiosity was just too great.

I shook my head, unwilling to share or even relive that moment. I couldn't. I wouldn't.

"Kitten." He tried coaxing me with the nickname he used for either gentle moments, or threatening ones. This one was both.

"Shisui." It wasn't even a whisper as I said his name, the cave still echoing slightly.

He remained silent, which I was thankful for. I looked down and realized I had Kakashi's shirt on, just now realizing the man had nothing on but pants. I lifted the shirt, inspecting the damage. Kakashi had taken his time to sew my wound. I traced the would, wincing at the touch.

"What were you thinking?"

Shisui's words rang in my head as I thought of an answer. Let him in. "I had to protect you." I dropped his shirt but didn't lift my gaze.

"That's my job. To protect us both." He defended.

"Was it a mission?" I just had to know the truth.

"No." He answered quickly. "Lady Tsunade sent us on the same mission."

"Do you promise?" I was beginning to break. Letting him in always made me this way. Weak. Vulnerable. A damsel in distress.

"Yes." He urged.

I finally looked up, tears threatening to fall now. I nodded slightly, acknowledging his words, causing the tears to slip free. He reached for my face, to wipe them away, but I shook my head no quickly, tears falling even faster.

"What's wrong?" He asked quietly.

"I can't." I managed to say before a sob escaped me. "I can't." I repeated it.

The sound of thunder raging outside broke the silence that fell between us. Lightning flashing so frequently there didn't seem to be a pause at all.

"Y/n, look at me." Kakashi was straddling me now, cradling my face in his bare palms. He moved my face upward, making me face him, but I refused to open my eyes. "Look at me." His tone was stern.

When I opened my eyes I found that beautiful mismatched pair staring back at me. My tears continued as I held his gaze.

"What is it?" He whispered.

"I-I was afraid." I admitted as I place my hands atop his. "I was afraid you'd be dead. I figured they'd kill you and take me."

"I'd never let them take you." He shook his head for a moment before he spoke again. "You're too precious to me."

The look in his eyes changed, he didn't mean to admit something so casually to me. Then, I saw the determination in his eyes. He was closing the distance between us, wanting to prove to me how precious I truly was. I shouldn't do this. Iruka. The moment our lips met, all other reality was forgotten. This was my reality.