Living

I had ten days left until I was able to see Tsunade and, hopefully, be released for duty. Today was Monday and Kakashi was sent on a day mission. He made Rowan promise that he wouldn't leave my side, practically making him take an oath. I told Kakashi I wanted out of the apartment, I hadn't left since I was sent home from the hospital. I strapped my tanto to my calf and headed outside.

My hair seemed so much longer and it flapped in the autumn breeze. I worse skin tight black pants and a loose gray blouse, making me feel relaxed and free. I tensed slightly as I reached a crowd of people, finding I wasn't as sure of myself as I used to be. Rowan nudged my hand, reminding me that I wasn't alone. I kept waking, heading for the KIA stone, a place I haven't visited lately.

Before reaching the stone, a familiar voice caught my attention, "Y/n, I haven't seen you in months it seems."

"Genma, I'm sorry I haven't been around." I tried to smile, but I knew it was fake, he did too.

"I heard you were in the hospital."

"I've been home for almost two weeks."

"Are you okay?" Genma stepped closer and my muscles became taught.

"I'm doing fine. I just wanted to go to the KIA stone, then I'm going back home."

"Babe, I'm-" A growl but him off.

Rowan growled again and stepped between us. "She's Kakashi's mate." Shit!

"What?" Genma moved his eyes from Rowan to me, scanning my appearance and landing on the bracelet. "I didn't mean anything by it. I was just trying to say that I'm here if you need anything."

"Rowan, easy." The wolf sat down and snorted. "We're seeing where things go." I explained.

"It's okay, Y/n, I know how much you love him."

"Guess everyone knew but him." I joked.

"He was a fool and so was I." Genma's eyes became glossy and he blinked a few times. "I'll let you get going. It was good to see you."

"You too, Gen." I smiled as he walked away, not so much as head nod, let alone a hug from the man.

"That was brutal." Rowan mumbled.

"You did it." I scolded as we walked away.

"He was hitting on you."

"Just stop it." Rowan snorted again.

My feet seemed to work on their own, I hadn't planned on arriving at TIF, yet here I was. A wave of uncertainty washed over me and I shook my head, dispersing the thoughts that threatened to come. Rowan followed me closely, still unsure of why I was here as well. I regretted my decision momentarily, the first face I saw was not one I wanted to see any time soon.

"Hey, kid," her tone was more delicate than usual, "I'm glad you're out and about. Ibiki is in his office."

"Thanks, Anko." And that was it.

I barely looked into the office and Ibiki was scowling at the papers in his hands. "Are you going to linger like a lost puppy, or come in?" I straightened and stepped into the office. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm still sore, but I feel good." It was true, but there was a lot more to his question as well. I don't think anyone knew the details aside from Kakashi, Iruka and Kurenai, but I wasn't sure.

"You see Tsunade in a couple of weeks to be released."

"Yes." I answered even though it wasn't a question.