ANBU

"Are you ready?" I asked Rowan as I stood at the door of my apartment.

"Yes."

We exited the apartment. I was dressed in my ANBU uniform. Black capris that hugged my body. Black shirt, long sleeved and stopping under my breasts. My gray ANBU flak did the same. I had my bow and quiver attached to Rowan with a special harness I had made. My tanto was still at my calf. My mask tied to my belt pouch at my hip. Hair in a braid, straight.

Tsunade hasn't summoned me, and I haven't gone to see her. I waited the week it took my tattoo to heal before I ventured out like this. I was using my balcony to come and go. I ate at odd hours or at home. I trained outside the village. I was invisible.

"Y/n?" A kind female voice called out to me.

I turned my head to see Kurenai and Asuma approaching me. "Morning you two." Rowan sat beside me.

"We haven't seen you lately." Kurenai pointed out as they met me in the street.

"I've been training." Rowan nuzzled my hand, a sign he wanted to know if I was okay. I offered him a pet.

"Kakashi said he hasn't seen you either. And you live next door." Asuma added.

"He's been busy." I shrugged.

"Busy? He's been out drinking almost every night. He's only had day missions." Asuma corrected me.

"That may be true, but he's had company almost every night as well."

"Y/n..." Kurenai felt sorry for me.

"It's his life, not mine. He's made it perfectly clear where I stand with him. He might've been my keeper while I was growing up, but I'm done being shadowed like a child."

"What are you talking about?" Asuma asked.

"Maybe you should ask Kakashi how our mission and mission report went." Asuma looked so confused I couldn't help the harsh laugh that came from me, "I was the mission. It was all a test. It always was."

"You can't be serious." Kurenai said.

"She is. Kakashi told me himself." Rowan spoke.

The two jonin jumped slightly, not expecting him to speak. "We need to get going. I have to go see Tsunade and Ibiki."

"So you're really going back into the ANBU?" Asuma sounded hurt.

"I work best alone. Kakashi's words." I walked away, not allowing them to respond.

"Enter!" Tsunade's voice rang from the other side of the door.

Rowan and I stepped in. Shizune and Tsunade were stamping paper after paper. Neither one of them looked up. I simply strode forward and stood at the end of her desk. Rowan's head rested on the edge of her desk and she glanced up.

"Rowan? Oh, Y/n. Can I help you?"

"I want to officially take assignments from Ibiki-san."

"You want to join the ANBU again?" Tsunade asked.

"Yes."

"If I refuse?"

"I'll simply become a bounty hunter again." I suggested casually.

"You'd have to turn in your hitia-ate." She threatened.

"I'm sure Suna would accept my allegiance."

"You're willing to go that far?"

"Are you?" I countered.

"I can't afford to lose you. So, no. If I approve it, you'll still take missions from me as well."