Broken Pieces

I knocked on my neighbor's door. It was about 8 o'clock at night. He should be home before he ventured out for the evening. I heard movement inside, and he was alone, though. It sounded like he was moving things around inside. I heard him unlock the door, and he swung it open harshly.

"Oh," Kakashi said lazily.

"Oh? Expecting someone?" I had my arms crossed in an agitated manner.

I had showered and changed. Mid drift showing shirt and some short shorts. My h/c hair blew in the evening breeze. The bright, rising moon cast a glow over my face, making my eyes shine brightly.

"Not you." He pointed out.

I tilted my head, surveying him quietly, "Are you already drunk?"

"Hn," he's been around too many Uchihas in his life, "It's my day off."

He was leaning on the door frame, and I pushed the door open wider with my foot. It was a mess. No wonder Tsunade wasn't assigning him essential missions. He was a mess. Sake bottles and instant ramen littered his coffee table. I stepped past him without a word.

"Hey." He reached for me, but I was faster than him with him in this state.

I went into his bathroom and collected his dirty laundry. I carried it to his washtub and dropped them in. I moved the dishes in his sink to the counter and turned on the hot water. I filled the sink and then a pitcher, filling the washtub. I soaked the clothes and the dishes in their respected basins.

Kakashi remained standing near the door, which was still slightly open. I opened the fridge and noticed it was empty aside from sake and old leftovers. His pantry had sake, whiskey, and ramen. I slammed the cabinet door closed. I walked into his bedroom and stripped his bed. I tossed the sheets next to the washbasin and headed for the front door.

"I'll be right back." He still didn't move.

I went into my apartment and headed to the kitchen. I grabbed some of the fresh food I had just bought. I could make some chicken teriyaki quickly and easily. I pulled out some bottled water and tea bags as well. I closed and locked my door and walked back into Kakashi's apartment. I closed and locked his door too. I wasn't sure if he was expecting someone else. These women may just walk on in. Who knows.

"What are you doing?"

"Making dinner."

I pulled out the pans for rice and chicken, not dirty, surprise, surprise. I got them both started, seasoned, and cooking. I placed the other small items in his fridge, pulling out everything that was trash. I opened a bottle of water and walked to him. He was sitting in his chair, reading an Icha Icha. I squatted in front of him and took the book away gently. He looked up, his left eye-opening as he did so.

"You're hair is longer." He mumbled.

"I like it long."

I reached up, pulling his mask down without hesitation. He didn't even move. What looked like a few days old stubbles covered his usually smooth face. I shook my head slightly.

"I do too." He whispered.

I ignored his comment, "Drink. I need to go stir dinner."

He took the bottle, and I made my way back to the kitchen. I could feel him watching me as I moved into the kitchen. I stirred dinner and began washing the dishes. He didn't have many, but they were gross, old. I filled the bag with trash and placed it on his balcony. I washed the clothes in the tub and laid them out to hang outside shortly. I even boiled water for tea. I ran more water, soaking his sheets.