36

~Vincent's POV~

"You're not wearing the cape," Tufa crosses her arms stubbornly.

"Why not?" I frown, reaching for the red material that she holds behind her.

"Because you don't need to keep hiding behind that stupid collar."

"Aw, do you like seeing my perfect face?" I tease.

"And too be totally honest, it looks ridiculous. So please leave it here."

"You're terrible," I roll my eyes.

"Thanks. Now let's go."

"Why are you making me come anyway?" I ask, following her.

"Your girlfriend's son needs clothing, does he not?" She says bitterly.

"Girlfriend?" I receive no reply, just a shake of her head and the pace speeds up. "Whoa, wait a second," I catch Tifa's arm. "Did you seriously think we had something going on?"

"No, I just... I don't know, I guess it's that you got so upset over her death that made me a little edgy. The way she kept looking at you really bugged me."

"If Cloud died, you might be a little edgy to," I let go of her with a scowl.

"Were you ever in love with Violet?" She crosses her arms. My heart skips. Was she ever in love with Cloud? Of course she was, stupid. It was always obvious, even when you two first started dating.

"I never was, unlike you, who probably still has feelings for Cloud," I glare at the wall.

"I don't," she furrows her eyebrows, brushing her fingertips down my arm. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked."

"It's fine," I sigh, brushing past her heading for the cockpit.

Derek instantly catches my eye, his red checked flannel a little lighter without the dirt and grime on it. His yellow boomerang is still hanging at his side, the edges dangerously sharp. At least he should know how to defend himself. It hadn't dawned on me until now: is he gonna be staying with us until he's old enough to move out? Denzel was easier to get along with because he was nine when he was introduced to Avalanche. Now he's fourteen, but we already know him fairly well. This sucks... I didn't want kids until later on, and I guess it is later on, but I also wanted to start slow, as in a baby, not a teenager...

"Where're we headed?" Cloud asks Cid when he gets into the cockpit.

"Kalm. Why?"

"No reason," our leader turns and eyes Derek for a moment before glancing at me. With a subtle movement of his head, he nods toward the boy, instructing me to at least talk to the kid. I sighs and roll my eyes, but move toward him anyway.

"Like the ship?" I ask, leaning against the wall beside him. Yeah, cuz the kid totally cares about flying airships, Vince.

"Not really," he says. Then he looks up at me almost frantically. "But it's not what you think! I just... Get airsick sometimes."

"Yuffie does too," I sigh. "And Cloud. But I'm not the one you should worry about when you say that. Beware of Captain Cancer."

"Who?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Cid. Blonde hair, has those weird goggles, short."

"Who're you callin short?" Cid frowns at me.