18

~Tifa's POV~

I can't believe he's actually gonna do it. Even though it could kill her easily. That man must be desperate. I have my head as I watch Cid nervously pace back and forth on the phone, Kara following behind him and completely unaware that her twin brother died yesterday. His eyes keep flickering down to her as if she's annoying him, but he doesn't do anything about it.

"Uh yeah. I got your call yesterday? I'll do it, but um... Just... Nevermind, just don't kill her, okay?" He chuckles wearily. "That would not be good. No. Thanks. Mhmm. Bye."

The second he snaps his phone shut, he slouches against the wall with a loud sigh.

"You alright?" I ask, worried about him.

"Terrible," he groans, rubbing his face. Dark circles under his eyes indicate that he hasn't slept in forever, probably staying up all night worrying.

"She'll be fine," I reassure him, laying a hand on one of his big shoulders.

"But do you really think that or are you just saying it?"

"It doesn't matter what I think. You being all negative isn't gonna help anything?"

"So am I supposed to be positive just to be negative again when I'm holding her dead body?" He glowers.

"She's not gonna die, Cid. Shera will be fine."

"Whatever," he grumbles, going over to the wheel. "We've gotta get to Mideel anyway. They're having a materia sale and Barret thought that might cheer Yuffie up."

"She's been moping in the room all day," I shake my head.

"She just lost a kid, Teef," he shoots a look at me as we begin moving. "Give her a break. I thought you of all people would be the most considerate."

"I'm trying," I sigh. "It's just so hard when Vince..."

"I told you, he should be fine. Who knows, maybe he'll wake up just fine one day."

"I highly doubt it," I grumble, looking back out the window.

"Well we're here anyways," he says, his voice a little shaky and nervous. I don't blame him, honestly.

"So I'm gonna take Yuffie materia shopping with Barret or whatever and then we'll meet you guys outside the clinic when I get a call, right?" I ask.

"Sounds about right," he nods, looking distant. "God I hope she survives this."

"Was that a prayer?" I raise an eyebrow.

"It could've been," he says absentmindedly before I shake my head and go off to find Yuffie. Going straight to the bunk room, I see her curled up in bed, her shoulders shaking slightly.

"Yuffie?"

"What do you want?"

"Cmon, we're gonna go do something today," I say gently, touching her back.

"Go away." She demands into her pillow.

"No can do," I shake my head. "Look, I'm trying to be nice, but if you don't.."

"I'm not going."

"That's it," I scoff, ripping her blankets off. She groans and balls up to an even smaller size. Then I yank her pillow away and grab her arm, pulling her out of the bed.

"No," she shakes her head. "I can't."

"Why not?"

"It just doesn't seem right to be all happy and go shopping or whatever right after Mikey..." She trials off, biting her lip and swiping at her eyes.