Chap#42

Elaine's POV;

After a sleepless night full of crying, I got ready for my first day at my new job. I didn't feel like eating breakfast, so I only drank coffee. I went downstairs where in the car Atlas was waiting for me. I didn't want to see his face because I still was hurt about what he said yesterday. What the hell happened that made him say that? Has he found someone else he likes that he wants to end this act? He did say that we will end it when one of us feels like it. Maybe he has grown tired of me. But just the other night he was so nice and.....forget it.

Throughout the ride to the office, there were many times where I felt he wanted to say something. But I ignored him because I already knew what he was going to say. He will say something like I'll file for divorce or like I've found someone I like or something related to this. Whatever. I don't want to hear what he has to say. Because I knew that I won't handle it and I'll end up crying again.

As we reach the office, I made up my mind to stop thinking about this and to just focus on my new job. As I got out of the car, Atlas calls out to me, "Elaine."
I didn't want to stop but still I did. Although I didn't turn to face him.

"About what I said yesterday...." He said as I cut him off and say, "I don't want to talk about it." And then I head inside.

As I enter the office literally everyone is looking at me. All of them already knows who I am and I hear whispers around me. I meet Stephen who welcomes me and says that Mike will guide me.
Mike tells me all about the work and he shows me to my office. He even tells me where Atlas's office is which I think was unnecessary. The good thing was that his office was far away from mine so luckily I won't get to see him. Mike then introduces me to Dylan. Since Mike works under Atlas he can't tell me all about my work. Dylan was going to help me from now on. After this, Mike then left, wishing me luck and telling me if I ever needed something I should come to Atlas's office.

Dylan then gives me the old files and says that he will give me the new ones when I'm done going through all of these and then he said that not to disturb him as he is really busy. I looked at the pile of files on my table and there were a lot of them. How am I going to go through them all? Well one good thing was that with this much work to do, I can take my mind off of Atlas.

After working for a few hours, Mike messages me saying it's lunch time. He says I should join them at Atlas's office, but I politely decline his offer. It's because I wanted to mingle with the coworkers.
I got sit in the cafeteria next to two girls and they are so polite and nice. Although they were being a bit formal with me. Even though I tell them to be frank because I'm only their coworker.

After I am done eating, there was still time left before the lunch break ends and that's when I decided to go see Atlas. No matter how hard I try not to think about it, I just wanted to know why. Why did he say that? Why does he suddenly wants to end this act?

As I got to his office, I was about to knock when suddenly I hear my name from inside.

"What are you going to do about Elaine?" It sounded like Mike

"Nothing. She dug up her own grave. I tried to stop her but she was being stubborn." I hear Atlas reply. There was annoyance in his voice.

"But aren't you going to do something?" Mike asked

"She can go to hell for all I care." Atlas replied which made me feel hurt. Does he really think that? I took a deep breath, gulped and then went back to my office.
I already got my answer for my why. He clearly doesn't even care about me.

I again started working while thinking about it. Sure I was hurt by what he said but there was something else that was bothering me. What was so wrong in me having this job? I tried asking a bit around about the guy who was before in this place but they all said that he resigned and shifted to another city due to family problems.