Chap#37

Elaine's POV;

"What?!" Claire and Amelia exclaimed as I looked at them and then at Kate

"I said 'was'. Besides he's totally over it. Why else would he marry Elly?" Kate replied

"Mike didn't tell me anything about this or maybe it's the girl from his high school that he mentioned." I mumbled

"Wait wait, hold on. I thought Atlas used to have a crush on Susan back in high school. This is not Susan. And how come I've never known about this? I've known Atlas for many years now." Amelia said. Oh, so it's not that high school girl.

"That's because I'm the only one who knows about it. It was during our college days, I accidentally overheard him talking to himself." Kate replied

"Why am I hearing about this just now?" Amelia asked

"Because we kind of made a deal. I promised to keep it a secret if he keeps me going out with Mike a secret from my family." Kate replied

"So did they used to date?" Claire asked

"No. I think Atlas didn't even confess." Kate replied.
He didn't confess? Does that mean he's still in love with her? Kate only thinks that he is over here because she believes that Atlas loves me. She doesn't know about our deal. Nor does Amelia know.

"Hmm. Atlas never even told us whom he liked or anything. In fact, I didn't even know about him and Elaine until he told me that they were engaged." Amelia said as I kept looking at Atlas and Trisha. Those two kept on talking and Atlas didn't even use his phone even once. I've never seen him put his phone away even when he's talking to others. She must be really important to him. I feel a pang in my chest just looking at those two.

"Hey, Elly! What are you thinking about?" Kate said as she brought me back from my thoughts

"Nothing." I replied as I smiled

"Oh looks like they are going now." Amelia said as we all again looked at both of them. Before leaving, Trisha hugged Atlas and then she left. Atlas called someone and he also left.
They hugged. It's no big deal, right? Friends hug. Strangers hug. Even if it's a man who used to once love that woman, they hug or so I think that he is still in love with him. What am I thinking! I'm overthinking way too much. It's not a big deal at all.

The whole day, I couldn't stop thinking about those two. What if Atlas is still in love with her? I mean he never confessed. Is that the reason he never had any girlfriends because he was in love with Trisha?
Then I remembered what Claire said to me. So if I'm putting this correctly and if Atlas is still in love with Trisha, he would want to be together with her. He would want to end this act as soon as possible. I shouldn't be selfish. If it makes him happy, then we should really end this act. But....I don't want to. Due to my feelings for him, I do want this to not be an act. I don't want to force him knowing that he's in love with someone else.
I shouldn't be this negative. Maybe he doesn't want to end this act, maybe he doesn't love her and maybe...just maybe he....forget it. Stupid brain. Over thinking 24/7.

That night we had to go to a dinner. It was basically a huge grand party of Atlas's office. Atlas still wasn't home and I even messaged and called him, asking where he was. But as expected, he only sees those messages but doesn't reply. I got ready ahead of time because I know just how much he hates being late. He's so punctual.

I wore a white dress with silver strapped heels. And as for my makeup, I kept it light. These days I was really into a natural makeup look. I put my hair up in a loose bun by leaving a few loose strands.

 I put my hair up in a loose bun by leaving a few loose strands

I looked into the mirror as I was all ready. I don't know, but I decided to go with a look that was elegant.
When Atlas came, he went to his room to get ready. I was still in my room, but I could tell from the footsteps and the doors opening and closing.

I then waited for him downstairs as he came, wearing a black suit.

"So, how do I look?" I asked.
It kind of became my habit to ask him that whenever we had to go somewhere. Although he would always reply by saying fine or okay or let's go. But this time, he just smiled. That was a first.

"Oh you know! Today at the mall..." I said as his phone started ringing. I saw the caller's name and it was Trisha.

"Sorry, I have to take this call. It's important." He said as he then went to the other room to talk. Yeah sure, go ahead. Talk to her. She's important to you than me anyways. I didn't like myself at the moment, as I was feeling a bit jealous. Does he really still love her? That's all what was on my mind. I should talk to him. I don't want to, but I should. It's not right.

When he finished his call, he looked at me and asked, "So what were you saying? You were saying something like at the mall..."

"Oh right. Today I went to the mall with everyone. We even went to that café down the street. What did you do all day?" I asked

"Nothing much. I was at the office, same as usual." He replied as he then starts typing and walking outside towards the car

"Oh. You didn't go out today at all?" I asked

"Yeah why?" He answered

"Nothing. Boring person." I said as I sit in the car. He didn't tell me about going to the café. Should I tell him that I saw him? But I don't think he wants me to know. Maybe he thinks I'm not important enough to tell things like this.

"How long are we going to keep this act?" I blurted out as he starts the car

"What?" He said

"This. We both got want we wanted out of this marriage. So how long are we going to keep this up?" I asked.
Deep down, I regretted asking him this. I didn't want him to say you're right, let's end this.

"I don't know. We will stop when it's time." He replied

"When will it be time?" I asked as he becomes silent for a moment. I didn't really want to have this conversation but I do want to know his reply.

"I guess when......either of us feels like it." He replied with a pause

"Oh okay." I said. Well at least he didn't say he wanted to end this act. I feel relieved about that.

Vote and comment please if you liked this chapter. Thanks for reading!