Chap#7

Elaine's POV;

The next morning I woke up and again found red roses next to me. This time on the note it was written, 'waiting for your answer.' Okay, now I felt kind of bad for John. No matter what, he was still my friend. But what can I do, I have told him the answer many times. Argh...my head aches so much! What happened last night? I have memories of it...I think. I tried to remember everything that happened last night while I took a shower and changed my clothes. I again had to stop by the office today. I went downstairs and made myself a sandwich. While I was eating the sandwich, my father came and sat in front of me. He looked like he was in a bad mood. Did anything happen? Well whatever. I was more focused on the sandwich. I was so hungry and it was so delicious. Ah! Food my love!

"When are we going to meet that guy?" Dad said suddenly. I choked on my food. What? Oh shit! I had totally forgot about it. I poured water for myself as I drink it quickly. I then remember what I said to him last night.

"Meet him?" I asked in a low voice. I didn't think of this part. I should've thought this before that they'd like to meet him.

"As you told me, you like the guy and he proposed to you. You accepted his proposal. And he also sent a formal proposal. Which means you want to get married to him, right? So when are we going to meet him?" Dad asked

The bite I just took got stuck in my throat. I was so frustrated last night that I spoke whatever bullshit I could think of at that moment, I forgot all about this. I didn't think they'd want to meet him. And now dad is even talking about me marrying him! Stupid marriage proposals! Hasn't the world got anything better to do then to get married? Suddenly Atlas's image appeared in my mind. I mentally shooed the image away. Why am I thinking about him? I just said his name on impulse last night. Stupid, Elaine. Focus. Dads waiting for an answer.
"Umm...what's the hurry dad?" I asked as I gulped.

"The hurry is that, I don't believe you. I'll be frank with you. I think you won't find anyone better than John. And that's why I think you should accept his proposal. If you have someone like you told me, then why are you taking so long to let us meet him? If you like the guy, I'm sure you wouldn't mind getting married to him quickly." My dad said. From the look on his face, he knew I was lying. This was bad. If he found proof that I'm lying, I'm gonna end up marrying John.

"I want to meet that guy. How about you invite his family to dinner? That way we will also get to meet his family." He said. Oh he was not backing down that easily. He knew I was lying and he was now planning on proving it. But I was his daughter and I wasn't backing down either. I'm gonna make him believe that my lie is the truth.

"Sure dad. I'd love that." I said as I forced a smile. I don't know what got over me in that moment. I should've just rejected his offer and made up some other excuse.

I quickly ate my sandwich and then ran upstairs before dad could say anything else to me. And also before I end up getting dragged into more weird shit. I was walking here and there, calling Claire, Tyler and Jackson. But none of them would answer. Damn it! What are those guys doing? It's an emergency! I need their help! Just when I was about to call Claire again, my phone ringed. It was a call from John. I was planning on ignoring it. But then I thought I'd ask him again to back out from the arrangement.

"You picked up? I thought you wouldn't." He said

"Yes, because there's something I need to talk to you about." I replied

"Have you finally changed your mind? I know you love me." He said as he chuckled

"God no! Listen John I do respect your feelings. But you need to understand, I have my own feelings too and I don't love you." I said

"What are you trying to say?" He said as he sounded annoyed

"I'm saying I have someone else I like. So please respect my feelings too and back out from the arrangement. Please. For old times sake." I said, hoping he'd understand, even though I knew I was lying, but still it wouldn't hurt to try.

"What?" He said as he started laughing hard, "You like someone?" He again said as he laughed. Why was he laughing so much? Is it so hard to believe that I can have someone I like? I mean I'm a person, I have feelings too. I can also have someone I like just like everyone else.

"I'm serious." I said

"Who are you trying to fool, Elaine? You've never fallen in love before. You don't even know what love is. That's why I'm saying, you love me. Trust me. I know you better than you do." He said

Okay, now he was being annoying. And it was getting on my nerves. He also keeps sending me flowers.
"You don't. I don't like red roses you know. And you keep sending them to me. I'd appreciate it if you don't do that." I said

"Red roses are a symbol of love. It's my love for you. So you should learn to love them. As you will eventually learn to love me which I'm pretty sure you already do. Also why are you going through all the trouble to lie about liking someone?" He said

"I'm not lying." I replied

"You are. Why go through so much trouble? You should just marry me as you are destined to because I know you love me." He said as he chuckled

I don't get this. Why? What happened to the friendly sweet John I knew? Why is he acting like such a jerk? Since when did he became so delusional?
"You're right. I love you, no, I loved you as a friend. And if you can't accept that, then please stop trying to change my feelings. Because they will never ever change." I answered. No matter how he was acting now, he did use to be my friend. And we had so much fun together. I actually miss that time a lot.

"Then stop. For once in your life, stop seeing me as your friend. See me as the man I am. See me as John. It's my request to you. I promise if you'll do that, I'll take back my proposal." He said after which he quickly ended the call. I was stunned. I wasn't expecting him to say that. But for some reason, I felt sad for him. I've been subconsciously hurting him.

After his call ended, I started thinking about the problem I was in. Oh shit.....what am I gonna do! Those ditchers are not answering their phones! I'm gonna have a serious talk with them later on. Right now, I need to go to the office. They all will be there, I'm sure. I slowly went downstairs, as I hoped to get out of the house without my parents seeing me. I didn't want to end up again in a trial of questions and then end up lying.

"Elaine." Dad said as I was almost close to the door

"Yes, Dad." I asked as I turned around to face him

"Call him and his family over for dinner on this weekend." He said

"What? Why?" I asked as I panicked. The weekend was in three days

"Why? Aren't you happy that you're going to meet him? I thought you liked him." Dad said as he raised his eyebrow, looking at me in a questioning manner

"Of course I'm happy. I'm the happiest I could be!" I lied as I faked a smile

"But you know, even if you like him, I still have my rules you know. We have to look at all the status and their family background and all that." He added

"Why? I don't care about those things. I never liked judging a person. I really don't like that habit of yours. I like him for who he is and I want to marry him." I said. I was speaking the truth. I didn't like his set of rules at all. Like why live life by rules and standards? When you could be happy and just enjoy it. And I said the last line to clear all his doubts. Dad has always been a sharp person and knows when a person is lying. So I wanted him to believe I was telling the truth.

"It's all for the best. Besides I can tell that you love him so much that you don't even care about his status and all. But it's my job to look out for you. I'm sorry for doubting you before." Dad said as he kissed my forehead and then went into his room

"No problem." I said monotonously as I couldn't believe what just happened. Did I just say I liked Atlas and I wanted to marry him?! Oh! I should tell dad the truth! What the hell have I gotten myself into!

Vote and comment if you enjoyed the chapter! Elaine is in trouble....lying is not a solution to any problem. What will Elaine do now? Keep reading to find out more!